Building 2 digit up/down counter LED display

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
TA-DAAAA
It is working perfectly again!

I did discover that when trying the display on/off system by placing the "switch" in the ground leg of the two output ICs, that I had brought out
a new ground lead and I failed to restore the regular ground connection....so proper ground again and it works. , and the P channel FET works fine as well. Just finishing some tidying up of wires, installing power jack on box, labeling etc and then to extend the AC adapter wire and take a few more photos, collect all the documentation and wrap it up. !!!

I will follow up with some photos and say many thanks again after I have all the details finished.

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
OK.... here it is with several photos and one 30 second video. The remote control works well without the antenna extended. With display on bench in shop, the remote works up to about 50'. From there I need to fully extend the antenna but get about triple the range that way...

All I can say is it was a ton of work but am very happy with the results and I have you, elec_mech, to thank for all the circuit design, LED board layout and a ton of other help. So once again a huge THANK YOU !

Oops gotta send a second message to add the other photos....

Attachments

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
That is a whole lot of awesome! I love the way you added diagrams and labels to the back, especially right on the ICs. Box looks superb - if you get really bored sometime, I'd love to see some build instructions. And the display, well, simply amazing. Did you end up using a filter after all or was the black background enough? The unlit segments are invisible which really makes it 'pop' in my opinion.

Congratulations! If you don't mind, let us know what the office thinks once they've had a chance to use it. It really looks very professional and that's all you. ;) Thank you for sharing the results. :D

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
Thanks for the compliments... I did not use a colored filter. I did use a clear, thin "plexiglass" type front panel over the display. It is made for putting over pictures in picture frames.... when it is on with the diffusing side out, it slightly "fuzzes" the picture as a by product of preventing glare. I thought it would be beneficial for some
viewers where light in the room might cause a glare across the display making it difficult to read. So... it has that benefit but also maybe makes the leds blend a bit so it is a smoother although not as crisp a result... all in all it seems to work out well.

Yes, I'm sure I will hear about how it works out in the office. As my daughter said, no one but us will know how much time and work went into this. Like so many things that are manufactrued by the thousands, few people realize what is "behind it all".

I probably could help with anyone wanting to know any details but following this thread gives the majority of all the work done so at this point I would not like to put any more time into any step by step procedure.

Thanks again... maybe you can offer help if I ever take on another such project.
Take care and best regards !

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
Well... the initial reports from my daughter is that everyone was impressed ! She just had it set up on her desk to demostrate for now as they decide how best to "hang" it so most everyone can see it well. Once it is in place, I will see what the reaction is
and try to post once more which will hopefully say that it is a success. Thanks !

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Yes, I'm sure I will hear about how it works out in the office. As my daughter said, no one but us will know how much time and work went into this. Like so many things that are manufactrued by the thousands, few people realize what is "behind it all".
Alas, so very true. Doubly so because it looks so professional.

I probably could help with anyone wanting to know any details but following this thread gives the majority of all the work done so at this point I would not like to put any more time into any step by step procedure.
I just meant the wood box - my woodworking skills are novice at best. I found the corner supports interesting.

I did not use a colored filter. I did use a clear, thin "plexiglass" type front panel over the display. It is made for putting over pictures in picture frames.... when it is on with the diffusing side out, it slightly "fuzzes" the picture as a by product of preventing glare. I thought it would be beneficial for some
viewers where light in the room might cause a glare across the display making it difficult to read. So... it has that benefit but also maybe makes the leds blend a bit so it is a smoother although not as crisp a result... all in all it seems to work out well.
That is an excellent observation as glare can certainly visibility difficult. I learn something new everyday. May I ask where you got the diffused plexiglas? Was it at a craft store, a hardware store, or online? I'll get some myself and play with this. I'm really impressed with the look.

Thanks again... maybe you can offer help if I ever take on another such project.
But of course. :D Next project, LED Infinity Mirror.

Well... the initial reports from my daughter is that everyone was impressed !
Excellent news! Thank you again for sharing.

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
elec_mech,

Here is an update from the office manager where my daughter works.
(It is a state facility) with part of the email he sent to all the staff.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to thank *** **** (and especially her father) for the new Number Waiting electronic board at the front of our office!
The caring shown by her and her father for what we do here is very much appreciated. I’m in awe of his woodworking, electronic crafting skills.
The visibility is terrific!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sooo a huge credit goes to you for the "above and beyond" help with design and prototyping etc that you offered. You were always reliable to return promptly with replies and support every step of the way and never
left me "hanging" not knowing what to do next... that was so important.
So, again, thanks very much ! I've tried to attach 3 photos of it in place
in the office which may be upside down so ... sorry for that... my daughter
says the pictures don't do justice... visibility is very good.

Best regards !

Attachments