Buck-boost DC-DC converter

Ali Doğan Sönmez

Joined May 7, 2019
Hi everyone, I want to design two stages interleaved in a buck boost converter. How does it effect the design? I didn't find anything about it. Can you help me?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It's been standard practice on Computer Mother-Boards for Decades.
It's called a "Multi-Phase" Buck, or Buck-Boost, SMPS.
I'm not particularly familiar with them, but I think most of them are running 6-Phases.
The advantages are, smaller Output-Filter Components, and incredibly FAST Transient-Response.
There are plenty of Controller-Chips available to create your own version,
that is, if you can deal with SMD Construction.

Ali Doğan Sönmez

Joined May 7, 2019
ı Don't know bcs They gave me a task to design Two stages interleaved buck boost dc dc converter. Still I'm researching. But I didn't decide how it should be a two stage. I think multiphase is difference than two stage.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Your Instructor is trying to get you to figure-out how this could be done.
Most SMPS Chips can be set-up to be a "Master", or a "Slave".
Read several Data-Sheets for various SMPS Chips, and see if you can design a solution.

With 2-Chips, with Clocks running at 180-degrees apart, you will have a "Two-Stage" SMPS.
Each Chip must have all of its own components, except for the final Filter-Capacitor, which can be shared.

Ali Doğan Sönmez

Joined May 7, 2019
Your Instructor is trying to get you to figure-out how this could be done.
Most SMPS Chips can be set-up to be a "Master", or a "Slave".
Read several Data-Sheets for various SMPS Chips, and see if you can design a solution.

With 2-Chips, with Clocks running at 180-degrees apart, you will have a "Two-Stage" SMPS.
Each Chip must have all of its own components, except for the final Filter-Capacitor, which can be shared.
Thanks for your effort. Now It have shaping more in my brain.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Two stage says to me, a buck stage and a boost stage in series, which is one way to get buck-boost. The common single stage buck boost give a negative voltage output, which may not be desirable.

Bob

Ali Doğan Sönmez

Joined May 7, 2019
Two stage says to me, a buck stage and a boost stage in series, which is one way to get buck-boost. The common single stage buck boost give a negative voltage output, which may not be desirable.

Bob
You mean that stages connected each other with cascade connection right ? Is it possible ?