Broken scriber?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Never had a scriber before. I ordered on form eBay for the purpose of making it easier to drill PCBs .

It just came in and I noticed that the point comes out easily. So easy in fact that you can't take the little plastic cover off that covers the point without pulling the point out of the tool. Is it broken?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Beware of ANY tool made in China, if yours is, I try and refuse to buy any hand tool made there, The quality I found is terrible.
If you intend making any extensive use of any tool, buy quality is my motto.;)
Max.

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Several of my scribers have removable tips that are secured by twisting the threaded collar around where the tip shaft goes into the handle. Does yours?
And I agree with @MaxHeadRoom . The only time a cheap tool will let you down is when you are using it.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Several of my scribers have removable tips that are secured by twisting the threaded collar around where the tip shaft goes into the handle. Does yours?
And I agree with @MaxHeadRoom . The only time a cheap tool will let you down is when you are using it.

No this one sort of just slips in. If I can get my scanner to work I will post a picture.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Being a skinflint I'd probably just use a stout sewing needle epoxied into a short length of tube (e.g. ball-point pen casing). Perhaps adapt a retractable ball-point pen?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It means an answer to last a life time.
Starret have been in the hand tool business since 1880.
I still have my old mic from my apprenticeship.
upload_2015-12-6_12-41-6.jpeg
Max.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
No, but equal to after buying the four that break when you use them! :p
Max.
It is an experiment, not a production setup. And he is poking dents into a piece of copper coated plastic. A sewing needle stuck into a piece of cork to protect his hand will be just as effective - he doesn't need a Starret Tool to be effective.