Broken Milk Frother. Will a replacement capacitor fix it?

Jim_PDX

Joined Nov 13, 2019
My friend has a Breville Milk Frother that stopped working shortly after its warranty ended. You plug it in and nothing happens - the illuminated dial does not light up and nothing works. I took it apart to find some corrosion on the circuit board and what looks like a capacitor with one lead no longer connected to the board. See attached image.
View attachment 245206
Here are my questions:

1. Could this broken/disconnect capacitor be what’s keeping the device from powering up? Or do you suspect there are other problems?

2. If I understand my components, this is a 3300pf ceramic capacitor rated for 1000V. I found what I think is an equivalent capacitor on Digikey (here) manufactured by TDK. Will this be an appropriate replacement?

3. Or, can I just order any 3300pf 1KV capacitor I find on AliExpress?

Thanks.
Capacitor ScreenShot.png

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
It's a simple 3.3nF Songtian capacitor rated to 1kV. No special qualification or the cap would be full of text rather than just the three lines.

Jim_PDX

Joined Nov 13, 2019
Thank you, but what about my first question?

"1. Could this broken/disconnected capacitor be what’s keeping the device from powering up? Or do you suspect there are other problems?"

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
It looks like a bunch of corrosion and, possibly thinning of the copper on the PCB which results in a higher resistance copper trace which causes heat, which may have caused some of the failure.

is the cap disconnected (burned out lead) on one side? Look at the back of the PCB to access the total damage.

without seeing more of the board, I cannot tell whether a small 3.3nF cap will cause a complete failure. A Start or Run capacitor is typically larger (higher capacitance) than 3.3nF.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
That's a switched mode psu , probably something else has blown too.

Can you take wider pictures of the circuit board please.

Jim_PDX

Joined Nov 13, 2019
Here are a few more photos of the board. The red arrows on the back side are where the capacitor is supposed to be soldered.

Thanks for your ideas!

cb1.pngcb2.pngcb3.png