broken legs of good capacitor 330uf 250v,fix?

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
hi i need help.. i have 2 capacitors ,they are expensive for me now.. i was trying to fix a small resistor in a psu.. but my soldering was bad as the point was big.. so i got frustreated and threw the board and broke the big filter capacitor(330uf) .. they are good ones.. now that i have calm down..i am willing to learn something out of it and try to fix it.. is it possible to fix the leg of capacitor from other capacitor (leg pin is totally off from negative side of capacitor) ..

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Harsh Language is the standard for bad soldering but sometimes you need something stronger.

Last edited:

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
just was curious and tried to insert the legs in to capacitors and tested with multimeter..i am getting reading for a good capacitor... should i power it on in the future :p

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
just was curious and tried to insert the legs in to capacitors and tested with multimeter..i am getting reading for a good capacitor... should i power it on in the future :p
No, you shouldn't. What you have is a bad (touching not bonded) electrical connection, in a chemical solution that very likely to form a high resistance hot spot under any moderate load. The best thing that can happen is the connection opens. The worst thing? A much smaller version of this.

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
thank you,its fun learning so much ,i am new to these ,just starting to do some repairs or would be just learning basics in the process,by the way would you teach me about circuits if i post here ,the pics of them..just to check if they are ok and taking out some components or identifying its good functionality etc..hope to learn more,thanks for your support

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
That will take a great deal of patience on both sides. The next time you're frustrated at something you're trying to repair, just walk away and come back when you're calmer.
yes sure.lesson learnt.. i got so angry because i replaced the resistor and it fixed it ,it started ! i was so happy i fixed a circuit by myself.. but thats where i got carried away ..as resistor seemed to have not fixed very well ,i was afraid it will short the near by components when it will be fixed and closed.. so i tried to adjust something and solder broke and i tried to solder again (my solder point tip is bigger (sad).. ) there it ripped off the small plate on the pcb board and i coulndt do anything ..then i threw it all

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The caps you show look like the caps on an ATX Power Supply used right at the line voltage in following the diode bridge. No clue where you are located but I can replace the entire PSU depending on wattage for under $20 USD and a 500 watt under $25. They are difficult to troubleshoot unless something is obvious and even then what stands out is often just a symptom. I would think you could find the caps in an old PSU grave yard.

Ron

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
No clue where you are located but I can replace the entire PSU depending on wattage for under $20 USD and a 500 watt under $25. They are difficult to troubleshoot unless something is obvious and even then what stands out is often just a symptom.
In my book, computer power supplies are a throwaway. Not worth the time and bother to repair when you can get a new one for around $20.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
In my book, computer power supplies are a throwaway. Not worth the time and bother to repair when you can get a new one for around $20.
That's how I figure it too. Just replaced one in a neighbor's system a few weeks ago and the system I replaced it in was maybe something I built about 7 years ago. They aren't worth trying to fix.

Ron

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
hi ,it was the R23 resistor open faulty ,yes its a psu 400watts.. it was lying around.. and i was thinking may be i will try to fix it and will use it only for the case fans.. i am so sad i just fixed it and was so happy and damm those small solder joints ..i should have had patience and i saw youtube vids how they fixed stripped up metal in circuit boards.. but still i wana bump my head on that psu ,just wana practice on it even not if it can be repaired again to run ever.. by the way i took help from other forum on repairing it.. if i am permitted to post the link here.. i would be glad.. can i post a other forum link here?

playit

Joined Feb 19, 2020
anything above 5 usd is kinda expensive for me now :p (i am from india) too tight on my allowances hihi

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
hi ,it was the R23 resistor open faulty ,yes its a psu 400watts.. it was lying around.. and i was thinking may be i will try to fix it and will use it only for the case fans.. i am so sad i just fixed it and was so happy and damm those small solder joints ..i should have had patience and i saw youtube vids how they fixed stripped up metal in circuit boards.. but still i wana bump my head on that psu ,just wana practice on it even not if it can be repaired again to run ever.. by the way i took help from other forum on repairing it.. if i am permitted to post the link here.. i would be glad.. can i post a other forum link here?
Well there was a lesson learned. Over a long career I solved a lot of problems and fixed a lot of equipment and while I can't say I never got so frustrated I didn't bounce a few things off a wall I can say the few times I did it never led to a successful repair. :)

Ron