Broken desktop motherboard. Will pay for remote help.

violent color

Joined Oct 4, 2017
my first thread on this forum, so hello to everyone and thanks to the webmaster for this wonderful resource.
I require remote assistance on identifying and repairing a desktop computer motherboard problem and i'm willing to pay for it.
the deal is:
1. to experiment with an idea of remote support and its worth.
2. learn both ways, one side to navigate and the other is to instrument. get practical instantly and have results, whichever, broken or fixed, rather than infinitely theoretical and have nothing done.
3. work out how to make each one happy (negotiate the price of the venture).
what I have to offer:
1. bad physics and math grades in school.
2. null mobo repairing experience.
3. ambition.
4. cash to spend.
if I get response to this thread I will post details of work to be done.
thanks!

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Take out your MB and check the capacitors for bulging or leaking. Replace all those that are bad. Replace MB and power back on. Send the money to my paypal account. PM me for details.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I really need this one and without your help I wouln't have my project complete
If it's more than a power supply issue, it's not worth trying to repair. You won't be able to do a complete circuit test to ensure everything is working. If any problems remain, it will just result in more unreliable operation.

violent color

Joined Oct 4, 2017
hi, thanks for your replies, I appreciate your time. here are some details on the board itself, tools I have and what I've tried so far.

1. the board
manufacturer: foxconn
series: 45gmx/45cmx
model: 45cmx.
capacitors on board:
ost, rlx, 0735, 105c, 6.3v, 1000uf - 12pcs.
evercon, e79a, 105c, 6.3v, 1000uf - 4pcs.
kjz, 16v, 1000uf - 4pcs.
tmv, 4v, 600uf - 11pcs.
lots of smaller rating caps.
replacement capacitors (new):
nobby, 16v, 1000uf - 4pcs.
kze, 6.3v, 1000uf - 16pcs.

2. tools
multimeter: "mastech" ms8250c.
smd rework station: hot air gun, soldering iron, "saike".
preheater: infrared, "ya xun" 853.

3. setup (all devices tested).
1. lcd monitor
2. vga cable
3. psu.
4. iec 60320 power cord.

4. storage conditions.
board was mounted inside a chasis. the chasis was kept under unknown environmental conditions.

5. board behaviour
1. started up the first time I launched it.
2. worked for some time.
3. I turned it off.
4. did not start the second and following times.

6. what I did.
1. replaced an old cmos battery - panasonic cr2032, 3v, with a new one - sony cr2032, 3v. this is based on advice by user rant4038 http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2586547/foxconn-45cmx-starting.html
no effect.
2. re-set cmos by adjusting a jumper. no effect.
3. visual inspection did no reveal any capacitor geometry anomalies.
4. I have replaced a set of capacitors kjz, 16v, 1000uf - 4pcs. with nobby, 16v, 1000uf - 4pcs. no effect.
5. I do not understand fully the function of a transistor, nor do I know how to measure voltage on them, however, I tried measuring voltage in a manner: without using multimeter com probe I used v (red) probe to measure voltage on all transistors I could find on the board. all measurements showed 2.9v.
6. switched multimeter mode to a symbol that looks like wi-fi, if I recall correctly in this mode the multimeter should give a continious beep sound to state that a chain is not broken. I put the com probe on a transistor near a cpu and the v probe on a + pin for a chassis front panel hdd light. computer boots up upon probe contact with a pin, I have no idea how to explain what caused the computer to boot up. I get to a post screen and let computer work for a while. I turn the computer off and same story as with initial board behaviour, no power on, no matter how many times I try.

eyesee

Joined Oct 19, 2013
Seems like you have a fault with your case power on switch/cable/motherboard connection. Try removing the power on switch cable header from the motherboard and testing for continuity between the two pins when you press the button. Continuity mode is the one you describe as having a Wi-Fi like symbol and the meter beeps when you touch the probes together.

This video might help:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Then invest in a supply of replacement motherboards. They are cheaper than experts.
I second that. You can sometimes sell a bad motherboard to someone that can actually fix it, or thinks they can, for not all that much less than a good one. Your net cost for a new one may be less than you think. Spend your time in bringing up those grades.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I second that. You can sometimes sell a bad motherboard to someone that can actually fix it, or thinks they can, for not all that much less than a good one. Your net cost for a new one may be less than you think. Spend your time in bringing up those grades.
Agreed, in the end if it's a circuit board from a Laptop, it's most likely a multilayer board not as simple as single or even double layer which is twice as difficult. Multi layer are impossible to repair.

kv

Edit: Best to start over, in that case.

Edit:Edit: Now that I'm thinking English is not your first language. Broke means not working, not that it is "Cracked like in Broken from damage do to dropping or otherwise"

Last edited: