Broken DC barrel connector

Obanion

Joined Nov 26, 2009
Hi guys,

I have a broken DC-Barrel connector that looks the one in the attachment. Well, I believe that it's the culprit of the no-power to my board but I'm not positive. I went to plug my board in one day and noticed that I wasn't getting any power. I jiggled the connector around a bit and was able to get the power to stay on for 0.2 s or so max. I took out a multimeter and measured the actual insertion plug and it read 9V, so I know that there's no problem with the actual AD-DC converter or the wire.

Oddly, I measured the voltage coming from the terminals on the back of the PCB where it's soldering to be 1 V. I couldn't really figure out why it was showing 1V unless there's an extremely large resistance somewhere.

Now my question is there anything inside this DC barrel connector that could possibly lead to this behavior? I'm unable to see the insides of it, but I'd be relieved if it was just this and not something else on the board.

Thank you,

Obanion

Attachments

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
to be certain, desolder the connector from the circuit board and measure continuity between outside and inside ring/pin.
it may be shorted, dragging your supply voltage way down.

or there may be a short on your circuit board downstream.

plug the supply into the desoldered connector and then measure voltage on the connector.

yes, the connector many times is the weak link.

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
Is this on a laptop computer? I recently fixed a laptop power plug that was not providing power. There is an outer barrel on the plug that provides power to a LED in the computer and this circuit was broken. The problem was in the plug, not the jack.

Regards, DPW [ Everyone's knowledge is in-complete...Albert Einstein]

Obanion

Joined Nov 26, 2009
Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments. I'm using a PCB that isn't mine, so I'm going to have to check with the owner to see if I can desolder it to check for certain. I'm definitely leaning towards a short, but we'll have to see once I get it diagnosed. I will see if I can find another 9V supply to test with just to be sure.

Thank you,

Obanion