Bridge rectifier

scam313

Joined Jul 19, 2022
Ignore some of the components and take the IC as a rectifier going to the LEDs and current limit resistor. With a bridge switching at a high frequency won't the LEDs be able to illuminate with the current flowing in either direction?

Attachments

scam313

Joined Jul 19, 2022
It doesn't in the LED.
The bridge converts the two-current to one-way through the LED.

Yes the polarity of the LED does not change and the current will flow only one way. Correct me if I am wrong but when the sine wave goes low or negative the rectifier switches the current flow to the anode thus still allowing the LED to illuminate.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Correct me if I am wrong but when the sine wave goes low or negative the rectifier switches the current flow to the anode thus still allowing the LED to illuminate.
That's an odd way of putting it.
The rectifier simply blocks the flow in the reverse direction, so only the diodes that have forward voltage, conduct, and that means the current is always flowing from anode to cathode in the LED.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The TS needs to return to the basic electricity course and learn how a diode functions. A diode function is to conduct current in one direction ONLY, when the voltage in that direction exceeds some small amount. When the voltage is in the opposite direction the current does not flow. It really is that simple.
How is it that one claiming to be an electrical engineer does not have a clear grasp of that basic function???? That is a puzzle to me.

scam313

Joined Jul 19, 2022
The TS needs to return to the basic electricity course and learn how a diode functions. A diode function is to conduct current in one direction ONLY, when the voltage in that direction exceeds some small amount. When the voltage is in the opposite direction the current does not flow. It really is that simple.
How is it that one claiming to be an electrical engineer does not have a clear grasp of that basic function???? That is a puzzle to me.
Student that works in manufacturing, I just put that thinking that alerts to my email would be geared to the field.