Boot code UART setup for 80C188/86EB

shsaga

Joined Oct 20, 2015
Project goal is to minimize boot code.

I am at the very first step of trying to make sure I am able to add a debug console, so that when I make changes to the boot code, I can track it. As there is no IDE in place for this project, this might be only way to go about it. The existing project has a Borland compiler and builds and creates the boot hex file using cmdline make builds.
the boot hex and application file are then merged together and loaded on to the target.
I have tried loading the merged hex file without any changes to boot code and it works.(loaded at offset 0x30 0000)
but, after changing the boot code to add uart setup i have only loaded the boot hex file(without merge) at the same address.
Right now I am only dealing with the boot code, and thus have avoided the boot code from launching the application.

Limitations: Using make files to build, no IDE, no breakpoints can be added. Everytime the file is built, the hex file is loaded on the chip and added to target.

Problem : I am trying to just get the UART working with may be a character or a string or anything possible to see on tera term if the first step can take effect and if its feasible. So far with the code below i have not been able to see anything on the tera term or on the oscilloscope.
I realized watchdog (hardware)which exists might be resetting the PIC and thus reconfigured the port to which watchdog is connected and tried to toggle it using software. Seems like it doesnt work too. I cannot see a toggle on the scope at this pin.

Question: 1. Could someone throw light on how feasible the method sounds? Or am I heading right direction?
2. Would merge with application and not merging be a factor?

NOte: will add source code if required

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The method is quite feasible. It does not have to reside in the boot code however, it can be an adjunct to any application program. It is how all my embedded projects are done.
The steps are:
  1. Get the baudrate generator and tera term to agree on a baudrate. You can get fancy later. I recommend 9600, 19200, or 115,200 as suitable baudrates.
  2. Get transmit working first, sending out the same character repeatedly. Don't bother using interrupts at this stage.
  3. Then put out fixed strings with CR-LF characters after a lines' worth of information
  4. Now build the receiver with a circular buffer to hold say 16 characters
  5. Now make the receiver interrupt driven
  6. Now make the transmitter interrupt driven with a circular buffer of say 256 characters

shsaga

Joined Oct 20, 2015
Great. Thank you for the input @Papabravo . I was able to get the watchdog kicked will follow the steps you have suggested, i think its a great guidance. Appreciate your help.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It's a great pleasure to know that 50 years in one business might just be helpful to a new generation. It also occurs to me that invading the boot code is still possible after you get everything else working.

shsaga

Joined Oct 20, 2015
Your inputs have also motivated me to be frank. I have got the first two steps up and running :) was able to print out hello world in a loop.
I just read your 3rd step
3.Then put out fixed strings with CR-LF characters after a lines' worth of information

what do you mean when you say CR-LF???

shsaga

Joined Oct 20, 2015
Oh! i got that! I was able to print out Hello world with a CR. I guess i didnt know its abbreviation. thank you :)

shsaga

Joined Oct 20, 2015
On that note, As you already know I am trying to shrink the boot code. I have few questions:-
1.Would it be necessary to add the circular buffers and interrupts to RX and TX?
2. Or would it suffice to just keep something printed in a while loop and then try and make changes to the boot code?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That is actually a tough question to answer. It is the classic tradeoff between performance and availability of resources. The reason for the interrupts and circular buffers is to avoid "busy waiting". If you can construct your code in such a way that you always have other things to do when the UART transmitter is busy, then you can avoid using the Tx interrupt. The Rx interrupt is more problematical because you don't want to miss incoming characters from the keyboard. This means that all your processing tasks must be executable in less time than the fastest possible arrival time of key strokes. An average typist can hit 60 wpm and a really good one can hit 115 wpm.

shsaga

Joined Oct 20, 2015
Yes, thats true. But i do not need to reciev something typed from keyboard. The main goal is to reduce the memory occupied by the code and optimize it. I am thinking what would cut down the code size to create some space/manage memory.