Bleeding capacitors in circuit and out of circuit

Adam Monarch

Joined Mar 17, 2019
I am bleeding some capacitors and I am using a 150 ohm resistor in series from the capacitor to
the chassis/ground of a VCR. I was measuring the voltage and of the capacitor and I got some of them to measure 0 dc volts.

However, some of the capacitors measure around 60 mV dc. I was wondering if the capacitors are safe to handle if the dc voltage
is around 60 mV, and what voltage ranges render safe handling without getting shocked by the capacitor. I also was wondering if there is another way to measure the amperage and voltage to ensure safety working on the VCR, or other capacitors that have been used or removed from a circuit. I used an amperage meter and always resulted in 0 amps.

Thanks

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
However, some of the capacitors measure around 60 mV dc. I was wondering if the capacitors are safe to handle if the dc voltage is around 60 mV, and what voltage ranges render safe handling without getting shocked by the capacitor.
60 mV is a truly miniscule voltage-- several orders of magnitude less than the minimum needed to cause electric shock, or even be felt as a slight tingle. To worry about that small a voltage is completely unnecessary.

Others may have their own criteria for what constitutes "safe to handle," but for myself I generally consider anything under 25 volts or so to pose little or no danger.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The discharge resistor should be connected directly across the capacitor. It is possible, if perhaps unlikely, that a resistor from one capacitor terminal to ground may not discharge the capacitor.