Bicycle turn signals as running lights

knurn

Joined Dec 23, 2015
AAC members,

I would like to use motorcycle turn signals as both turn signals and running lights on my bicycle.
Below is a diagram which meets most of my needs. A relay is added as a switch to make the running lights blink when the turn signal switch is turned on.
The solution shows swapping in LEDs (which is what I will be using) and a relay for the right running lights/turn signals. A second relay would be needed for the left side.
In this circuit the running lights come on when the ignition is turned on and the turn signals will work off the signal switch.
I want to add a separate switch to turn on the running lights and I want the signals to work if the running lights are on or not on.

Can I modify this circuit to meet these use cases:
Ignition on, running lights off, turn signals will work using turn signal switch
Ignition on, running lights on, turn signals will work using turn signal switch

RunTurn.png

thanks in advance,
kim

knurn

Joined Dec 23, 2015
Why is there an ignition switch if you are driving a bicycle? Do you plan on having a headlight and tail light as well?

Are you going to have a generator to "recharge" your battery?
The ignition switch is just a keyed switch.
I am not having a generator to recharge the battery; I will remove the battery and recharge it with a battery charger.
knurn

knurn

Joined Dec 23, 2015
Thanks Joe,

I got the turn signals for free from my brother and I purchased LED replacements for the incandescent bulbs.
I have used bicycle lights but I find they give less visibility than automotive lights.

knurn