Best and fastest way to drain a battery ..#2

omadawn

Joined Aug 8, 2021
Hi
I need to drain a lithium mobile phone battery to recover her full capacity, any tip on the best way to do it?

thanks

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Fully draining a lithium battery will destroy it, not restore it. You are thinking of old NiCad batteries. I don’t know of a way to restore a lithium ion cell.

Bob

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Hi
I need to drain a lithium mobile phone battery to recover her full capacity, any tip on the best way to do it?

thanks
Li-Po batteries have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles. As they age, the capacity diminishes. Discharging the battery will waste a charge cycle and if you discharge it much below 3V, your charger will not be able to re-charge it. If the capacity is too low, the solution is to buy a new battery.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Li-Ion and Li-Po are toast when their Capacity is reduced to an unacceptable level
which depends on the application and your personal standards for their performance.
They can not be "rejuvenated" by any method.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Hi

thanks
That trick is for nickel–cadmium batteries only, and it is best done by putting a low value resistor across the battery terminals.

The trick will not restore a lithium battery.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Discharging Ni-Cad batteries is only useful if it is done on each cell of multi-cell battery packs.
As a Ni-Cad pack is charged. the voltage across the battery increases until until one or more cells is fully charged, There is then a small voltage decrease. This is detected by the charger and the charge is terminated.
Each cell in a Ni-Cad pack has a slightly different self-discharge rate, so over time, the cells will become charged to different levels. The charger cuts off when the cell with the highest charge reaches voltage drop-off. As the battery is discharged, the cell with the least charge will become completely discharged before the others. Over time, the battery capacity will gradually reduce as the difference between the cells increases. This condition is corrected by discharging each cell to the same voltage level and then re-charging the pack,