Beginner Friendly List of PIC models?

Aren't you running it under WINE? I still use MPLAB 8.x under windows and it's fine, I've had no need to switch to 10 till it's out of beta.

And yes you need the little caps. The other problem could be the breadboard, they can be so-so in the reliability department.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
It's a judgment call whether to put capacitors on every IC, but it certainly wouldn't be wrong, and if you've got a surface mount board, they're tiny and cheap.

Note that the right way to install filter capacitors is to put them as close to the IC as possible, with the trace carrying power or ground coming first to the capacitor, then to the power pins. The idea is to isolate the main power buses from any disturbances caused by transient currents in the ICs, and if there are any such disturbances, keep them to the bus itself, and away from other ICs.

And if you have digital and instrumentation circuits, give them separate power and ground nets, with minimal connections between the two.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Thanks for the advice, I haven't bought anything yet, and am still considering a PICKIT of some form. The problem is, I really have no way of telling whether it will work or not! Wine is a great emulator, but I'm not sure how well it handles communication with proprietary USB devices. Is hardware debugging as useful as it sounds?

I have tried out the beta of MPLab X and was quite unimpressed… as far as I am concerned it's pretty nasty :(. I really don't like the way it works — and it works very badly on my computer, at least. Then again, it is still in beta, so it may have improved before it launches.

Thanks a lot,
Barnaby
I would say it helps a lot. It is also the comfort of doing programming from MPLAB. I have wasted some selecting wrong file names for the programmer. If you do it from MPLAB you are sure the hex file is correct, and your current. One click and the code is programmed. Just like in the Iphone app store. One click and you are ruined:rolleyes:
I think one of the member on this site Markd77 runs MPLAB with a PICKIT with wine.
Edit: And I agree. The MPLAB X is to much in Beta now. It do not work very well. Like I could not fire up MPLAB SIM. To early to evaluate

Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I think one of the member on this site Markd77 runs MPLAB with a PICKIT with wine.
Yes, it works pretty well, with a few glitches on Ubuntu and Wine. The Logic analyser in the simulator doesen't work and sometimes the line numbers in the code window get misaligned. A few font issues which can be hard to read but overall I was surprised at how much of it works perfectly.

Barnaby Walters

Joined Mar 2, 2011
Yes, it works pretty well, with a few glitches on Ubuntu and Wine. The Logic analyser in the simulator doesen't work and sometimes the line numbers in the code window get misaligned. A few font issues which can be hard to read but overall I was surprised at how much of it works perfectly.
Fab, that's great to know. I have had some funny colourations but otherwise everything's worked well for me.

Ok then, I'm going to take the plunge and get myself a PICKIT 3! I may be able to get it through school for a discount.

Thanks a lot everyone!
Barnaby

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I don't think MPlab works directly with PICKIT2 or PICKIT3 using WINE.
I'm using a PICKIT2 clone and a program called PK2CMD which is a command line program from microchip and also available for MAC OSX.
I don't think there is an equivalent program for PICKIT3 although I haven't searched too thoroughly.

Barnaby Walters

Joined Mar 2, 2011
I don't think MPlab works directly with PICKIT2 or PICKIT3 using WINE.
I'm using a PICKIT2 clone and a program called PK2CMD which is a command line program from microchip and also available for MAC OSX.
I don't think there is an equivalent program for PICKIT3 although I haven't searched too thoroughly.
Ok… so actually I wouldn't be able to benefit from the IC debugging, and I would have an expensive, command line version of usbpicprog?

Hmmm… I'll see what kind of returns policy Microchip do — The only way to really figure out if this is going to work is to actually try it. And if I can return it, I can't lose out.

Thanks,
Barnaby

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Ok… so actually I wouldn't be able to benefit from the IC debugging, and I would have an expensive, command line version of usbpicprog?
I think that is true of the PICKIT2 although it might support a few devices that usbpicprog doesn't - probably not a major concern.
From what I've seen the PICKIT3 won't work at all except with windows, the link nickelflipper posted is only windows compatible.