Beautiful rain drop lights using discrete components.

MrsssSu

Joined Sep 28, 2021
Hi all,
I saw this chip at here which is able to make beautiful rain drop lights and searched for the datasheet here for its internal circuits. I have searched the web that can do the beautiful rain drop lights using discrete components but could not find any. Does anyone know how to do the rain drop lights using discrete components?

Thank you for reading and have a nice day :)
1648632604525.png

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you're trying to replicate what goes on inside a 74HC595 without using one or more ICs you're going to need a shed-load of components.
This article may give you an idea of the complexity. It shows the parts making up one stage of a shift-register. You would need to multiply that by eight to replicate the 74HC595.

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Mrsss,
I would go for a homemade electro-mechanical option.

Drive a variable speed Stepper motor > shaft > 8 off phosphor bronze switches driving LED's

E

MrsssSu

Joined Sep 28, 2021
If you're trying to replicate what goes on inside a 74HC595 without using one or more ICs you're going to need a shed-load of components.
This article may give you an idea of the complexity. It shows the parts making up one stage of a shift-register. You would need to multiply that by eight to replicate the 74HC595.
Wow, amazing these 8-bits technology dates back to Apollo Mission. It's so complex :)

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
But if you were trying to create the effect rather than replicate the circuit, a shift register isn’t the way to go.
Make a voltage ramp (series astabLe, two transistors), buffer the ramp (1 transistor) then create a series of comparators (1 transistor each) to drive each LED.
Total 11 transistors, one capacitor, 26 resistors.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am vaguely imaging a cascade of neon relaxation oscillators and relays, of course, lighting LEDs, the neons are just for the circuit.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I am vaguely imaging a cascade of neon relaxation oscillators and relays, of course, lighting LEDs, the neons are just for the circuit.
How about the neon driving a cathode follower, and then eight pentodes as comparators and constant current sources to drive the LEDs.

MrsssSu

Joined Sep 28, 2021
hi Mrsss,
I would go for a homemade electro-mechanical option.

Drive a variable speed Stepper motor > shaft > 8 off phosphor bronze switches driving LED's

E
Hi sir :), have you heard of NE 555 flip flop design for 2 led ? Can we combine multiple NE 555 for 4 led rain drop design?
1648653952527.png