Battery powered (or passive) RPM sensor

valer85

Joined Feb 18, 2021
yes.
"
So I can't use the solution you are showing from the spare part catalog.
I already investigated that path, it's a proprietary solution which cannot be integrated with other systems. But the idea is good!
"

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I don't see how a magnet and hall sensor can be considered "proprietry". It is used on many products. Depending on the speed of the rotating Item you may be able to use reed switch. Other similar methods you could use are variable reluctance sensors, Hall type gear tooth sensors as used on anti lock breaking systems. You could also use an optical sensor but that could get contaminated with dirt. A picture of your actual machine would probably be helpful.

Les.

valer85

Joined Feb 18, 2021
LesJones, it sounds like you didn't read the other posts...
I can't use a normal sensor because everything is rotating!! I posted a video of a similar system and a drawing showing the problem.

I don't know of any off-the-shelf solutions if it has to be wireless. There's some pretty darn easy DIY options using an Arduino, but you said you don't want DIY. There's off-the-shelf tachometers, like for bikes and stuff (someone else already recommended one), but those aren't wireless.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Perhaps this is a fools errand. At this point, with three pages of responses, it seems there is NOT an off the shelf solution to your problem. Could you have posted in the wrong forum? A farm forum seems to be a much more likely place for you to find the answer you seek.

valer85

Joined Feb 18, 2021
Ok guys I give up.
I keep saying I need an off the shelf solution and everybody asks why and why you don't do DYI.
I can't. Period! Why it doesn't matter at all.
I was searching for answers, not for investigations about the reason of my choice. Thanks anyway

The reason we're asking is because there would appear to be no answer to your exact situation. There's no physical reason you can't do DIY. If there's some sort of law in your municipality prohibiting such a thing, then that's a good reason. If you're not the owner of your equipment and the actual owner says they don't want DIY, that's unfortunate but also out of your control. If your reason is simply, "I just don't feel like it" then that's not a good reason. Simple psychology also tells that if we know your reason and sympathize with it, we are more likely to help you, and to help you to a greater extent.

You gave a situation. There's apparently no solution. With a slight change, there's numerous solutions. If you want to get all uppity about a bunch of people who are trying to help you for free, then that's your choice. But as it stands you would appear to have two choices: figure out a way around whatever is stopping you from doing it DIY, or use the analog optical sensors just above your nose.

EDIT: Also if the reason which is stopping you from doing it DIY is perhaps some of perception about it being too difficult or impractical, we may be able to help you overcome such perceptions.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
As a last resort you could check out bicycle remote speedometers. Some are reported as having Bluetooth connectivity. The remote is about 60 cm.