Battery powered (or passive) RPM sensor

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Do you need to know in real-time (right this second) that it's not working, or would it suffice to know at the end whether it has worked or not? My thought is, the final step when the 2 arms come up and cut the plastic; it might be easier to mount something on those arms that would detect whether plastic is being cut or not, than to mount something wireless on the rotating parts. The assumption would be that the arms will only be cutting plastic if it was successfully being dispensed.

valer85

Joined Feb 18, 2021
unfortunately I have to detect it in real-time. not at the level of milliseconds, but if it does not spin, I should get an error message.

The ECU is located in the static part.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
The ECU is located in the static part.
What's the difference if the ECU is just a LED or some fancy tachometer if all you need is a ON or OFF indicator.
I'm still confused, if the ECU is mounted on a static part don't you still have to look out the cab to see it?
And as you said: " Otherwise looking at the plastic dispenser would have been enough to detect a problem".

valer85

Joined Feb 18, 2021
@sghioto the ecu is part of the electronic control system of the machine. So it will take care of handling the problem.
I need to detect the rotation and send the output signal to a "brain".

Then only battery-free wireless doorbell is solution for you.
http://www.energyharvesting.cn/en/203625196.html
not really clear how this could apply to this system.

summarizing: I need a wireless-output tachometer.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I apologize if I don't understand.
how can you detect (or measure) the rotation of the roller with a magnet on the roller and a sensor on the static part??
The roller, as you can see in the video, rotates, but also the arm which holds the roller rotates.
So when the arm passes in front of the static part, once per revolution, I don't understand how the magnet could be useful to measure the roller rotation.

Let's say that, for any reason, the roller is rotating but the magnet is never on the sensor when the arm passes in front of it. in this case the sensor will always detect nothing.
I don't know if you see what I mean..
The magnet is on the roller. So it is moving. As the sensor is static, if the roller is rolling, the magnet has to pass in front of the sensor.

The magnet isn’t on the sensor.

The sensor detects the magnetic field from the magnet as it rolls by.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Do you need to know in real-time (right this second) that it's not working
Just my guess from what people are doing on farms around here. The off loading of the bales isn't usually visible from the tractor. Although the bale has a plastic netting around it that is used for normal bales , these wraped bales are used now instead of putting stuff in a silo. Stuff used to be siloed to ferment and turn the starches in the crop into sugars that is digested better. The cost of a silo is so high compared to toally wraped bales that farms aren't buying new silos. With what the TS wants to do, he can in real time figure out if the wrap is really working.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
I need to detect the rotation with an ECU, not by looking at it! Otherwise looking a the plastic dispenser would have been enough to detect a problem
unfortunately I have to detect it in real-time. not at the level of milliseconds, but if it does not spin, I should get an error message.
For your bale wrapper Vicon BW 2850 stop-by-end of film / film tear sensor is available as an option.
See Vicon-BaleWrapper-EN.pdf, page 20.

You can order necessary spare parts (magnet, sensor, wireless unit etc) here:
https://www.agroparts.com/ip40_vicon/#/partlist?location=CAC/CAC006/CAC006KB006/CAC006KB0060008/CAC006KB0060008_31

1613801653230.png

Last edited:

valer85

Joined Feb 18, 2021
the machine I have to apply the solution to is not the same as on the video. that was only to give an idea of the application.
So I can't use the solution you are showing from the spare part catalog.
I already investigated that path, it's a proprietary solution which cannot be integrated with other systems. But the idea is good!

Here is a rough pic. Does this help? The sensor is mounted near the roller in a permanent (not moving) location.
I think some of you are missing the problem.
I attach a quick drawing:

thumbnail_20210222_083544.jpg

it's like a solar system rotation :D
the earth is rotating on its axis, but it's also rotating around the sun. So I need to detect if the earth is rotating.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Ahhh!!! I see the problem.

I can’t think of a plug-and-play solution to the problem. Except perhaps the manufactures add-on option.

I’m out.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I think @Danko 's is the closest you will get to off-the-shelf. I was going to suggest a 3-phase model aircraft motor used as a generator half-wave rectifier and used to power a 418MHz (or similar) radio transmitter, which is much the same arrangement, so that the carrier is switched on and off once per revolution, on 33% and off 67%.

valer85

Joined Feb 18, 2021
yes I see your point.
Your ideas would be nice but actually I need something off-the-shelf.
I will continue my research. thanks anyway guys