Bad "TV" or antenna wiring?

Kovy

Joined Sep 11, 2017
Hey their guys, besides being new here I have been working on a small project lately out of fun. I have a 1991 Bently Portable TV. I use 12v AC power to run it. Now, lately ive been trying to see if despite the age I could get this thing to pick up as much as I could. I can switch between UHF HF VHF signals. Its fully black and white and analauge, since I live in a valley on a hill reception is pretty bad, so I made my own antenna out of scrap. Converters etc. Are as shown. 3.5mm to coax going to a 300 -75 maching box to another junction converter thing, Which switches from the power to antenna. For some reason it dosnt work and I dont know why and its really annoying how I can hardly get anything but static. Plugged in or out it slightly sounds diffrent. The antenna is about 25 feet off the ground.

Could Anyone help me?

Kovy-

Attachments

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The majority of OTA (Over The Air) television stations received in NJ were transmitted from atop the World Trade Centers in NYC before 9/11 and following 9/11 and the loss of the WTC transmission was returned to on top of the Empire State Building where it originally was for decades. When transmission went to a digital format those without a newer TV capable of receiving digital TV were out of luck and others using a cable box were OK. During February 2009 all TV in the US went digital. When transmission went from the WTC antennas to the older and lower Empire State antennas many people on the "fringe" of transmission range lost signal or had poor signal quality.

The old TV bands or frequencies, what your TV was originally designed for had channel allocations with each channel being 6 MHz (Mega-Hertz) wide and went like this:
Channels 2 through 6 were 52 MHZ to 82 MHz on their lower ends. VHF (low)
The FM radio band was 88 through 108 MHZ
Channels 7 through 13 were 174 Mhz through 210 MHz VHF (high)
Channels 14 through 83 were 470 MHz through 884 MHz UHF

With the onset of DTV many of the old allocated frequencies went to Emergency services like police, fire and other emergency services. This may be why you hear any police activities on an older TV. Many older TVs also used fixed click stop tuning but allowed an adjustable "fine" tuning knob. The upper edge of Channel 6 TV was right at the bottom of the FM radio band and this may be why you hear an FM radio station. These are purely guesses on my part.

All in all any old analog TV used today will need a converter just as crutschow mentions. These converters were made available in 2009 before the transition from analog TV to digital TV and today are available. Less a converter your older set will not receive any of the new format television.

Ron

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
A tv is a terrible device to try to listen to civilian radio services. They use different frequencies for TX and RX.......so you only hear half the communication.

Modern radio RX can automatically switch.....so you can listen. Plus scanning...etc.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What about if I want to listen to HF emergency stuff with my analogue antenna? Thats what I've been trying to work properly,
It's not so much about an analog antenna as much as it is the transmission methods as BR-549 points out. If you really have an interest in monitoring the frequencies used by fire, police and other emergency services the best way to listen in is using a scanner made for what you want to listen to. There are countless web sites out there which list the frequencies used. This would be a good start for New Jersey. A simple Google of "New Jersey scanner frequencies" is a good start. Companies such as Uniden Bearcat make a wide variety of scanners designed for listening to emergency band communications. They are also relatively inexpensive.

Ron