Automotive topics

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Forth a T.V. repair with all the pictures and Input from knowledgeable Forum members has never been acomplished.
Not sure I agree with this. I just fixed my ViewSonic 47" LCD after it got zapped in a lighting storm and it only took input from one knowledgeable forum member...Me!

Yeah, I probably should upgrade, but I'm cheap and out of wrk So I fix...

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Billo you need to share with pictures and input, I have been boosting
plasma repairs,some only have there boards,yours has a fuse.I need more
details.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Sorry, no picture. I never took any. But....you must have esp or something. It did not turn out out be a fuse, but it was a fused diode, on the control panel!

Last edited:

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
@Bill_Marsden.

It came as quite a shock. Being a fairly senior employee (Vice President) with 13 years of service. In fact, my mid-year review in mid September of 2010 I was rated as 'exceeding expectations' (our fiscal year started April 1st). 19 days later, October 4th, 2010, I got the layoff speech.

I must have pissed someone off. I asked around, but got no answers. Anyway, at 53 I'm attempting to treat it as an early retirement. Not sure that will last long though. I'm getting bored. But, to tell the truth, it has affected me worse that I would have thought.

:confused:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I got the ax from a job I loved in 2001 when Alcatel collapsed in North America. Took me two weeks shy of a year back then to get a job, and I was let go just before 9/11. It is much worse now. I have a job that I'm basically overqualified for, but it will probably be mine till I am forced to retire or drop dead. It is one ofthe reasons I hang around here, I'm trying to keep my skills alive. You are a year younger than I, and age discrimination is alive and well. I think Wookie is in much the same boat.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ billo,parts for plasma T.V. are more available and every hotel,motel,resort
sports bar,you name it has gone flat screen. There is a process at Samsung
by internet to become service center or contact a service center.There is a
market out there now.More places will have to do repairs because of economy.
In the U.S. the power companies have a form for lightnig hits.you don't have
to go thru insurance,that new. I heard $250.00 estimates being given,8 screws and a
curcuit board. Give me your opinions.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Things I've fixed:
HP 54501A oscilloscope - just needed some air dusting and reseating of connectors. Cost of repair: £5 for compressed air (with uses in other items too)
Advent Power Line Ethernet adapters - single faulty 1000u/6.3V cap. Replaced with 1000u/10V. Cost of repair about 50 pence.
Xerox flat panel 18" LCD monitor - six faulty 470u/25V caps. Replaced with low-ESR 470u/25V caps. Cost of repair about £2.

On the wish list: Someone with a broken plasma for me to fix :) Or a broken LCD. Easy if caps are bad (for example, "click of death"). A bit harder if another problem like bad CCFLs but still fairly easy to fix. Searching around.

It is certainly not impossible to fix things yourself and should be highly encouraged.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
@ billo,parts for plasma T.V. are more available and every hotel,motel,resort
sports bar,you name it has gone flat screen. There is a process at Samsung
by internet to become service center or contact a service center.There is a
market out there now.More places will have to do repairs because of economy.
In the U.S. the power companies have a form for lightnig hits.you don't have
to go thru insurance,that new. I heard $250.00 estimates being given,8 screws and a
curcuit board. Give me your opinions.
Not sure such a thing is really feasible. When my TV went I visited the local Wal-Mart. They were selling 47" TV for under $500. Mine cost $1200 3 years ago. They told me the cheaper off-brand TVs out sold the Sony, Viewsonic, LG, Samsung brands about 10 to 1. Even though the price difference is only about 10% - 20%. While it might be easy to get schematics and parts for one of those, it might be near impossible for a Hisense or Pro-sonic or other off-brand items that are the majority of the units sold. Something to think about though.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Fixing stuff? Yeah, great fun and very gratifying.

In the last year:

My TV
Systron-Donner TL8-3 bench power supply
Heathkit IG-1273 VCO Function Generator
Fender guitar amp
Roland guitar amp
Marshall guitar amp
Nikon LS4000 film scanner (mechanical problem)
Fender Jazz bass guitar (too easy though)
Danby Peltier device fridge

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I find it very disapointing that a posters thread is shut down just because he wants to inprove on a motorbike voltage regulator. Especialy as they are prone to malfunction & he was trying to come up with an improvement. I cant see where this is altering the legality of the bike. Where does he go as I bet motorbike forums dont have many people that are electronicly inclined.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Truth, I'm just glad this is over with. I'm not totally sure what the logic train was, but it is a settled issue.