Automotive- My windshield wipers will not park.

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022
My windshield wipers will not park. I have tried two additional control switches and a remanufactured wiper motor. I've done the test in the flow chart and could not find a fault. If it is a ground issue is there any way that I can connect another ground wire from a good ground area and tap into the motor's/circuits ground? Thanks
I started in the engine bay and cleaned a few grounds then tested them I got 0.0 Ohms on three of them and 0.1ohms on the patch cable I installed for the additional ground of the wiper circuit which didn't make any difference to the wiper trouble.
That's the only grounds that I could find on the left side engine bay.
Here is the culprit Picture 9809 the part you don't get when you buy a remanufactured motor the cover with it's electronics. Thank You to all for your help I'm sure if it were a circuit issue other then a replaceable part you would have prevailed. Thanks

Mod:lightened your images.

Attachments

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
did you notice the captions on the lower right side of your first attachment #100-9779? Where it says to, "see ground distribution section 8A"? I'd look there, if you have the pages in your repair manual.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
My windshield wipers will not park. I have tried two additional control switches and a remanufactured wiper motor. I've done the test in the flow chart and could not find a fault. If it is a ground issue is there any way that I can connect another ground wire from a good ground area and tap into the motor's/circuits ground? Thanks

Mod:lightened your images.
When you say "will not park", do you mean the wipers run continuously?
Or do you mean, when shut off, they do not stop at the full rest position (against the very bottom of windshield)?

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022
They will not stop even with the switch set to stop. But if I turn the key off and then back on they will then park. As a temporary fix I connected a fused toggle switch in to the fuse location and can then turn them on and off without turning the engine off. Thanks

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Yes, they run constantly.
Ok...so lets check the voltages at the wiper control and the park switch.

We know by reading the schematic, that when the wipers are working properly, voltage can only reach the wiper motor by passing thru the wiper control switch via the "Park switch". I think you stated you tested as described in the flow chart, but something must have been missed.

See the attached diagram. I've circled points of interest in "green"
Lets check the "Park switch". According to the schematic, the park switch is a relay that provides the motor with voltage thru its contacts that operate it continuouly or place it in park. I've labeled tests points "X", "Y", and "Z" in "red".

To test, operate the wipers so that they fail to park (they operate continuously when they should be off).
Then, with your meter, check the voltages at points X, Y, and Z. Connect the -meter lead to ground and use the +meter lead to check each of the voltages at X, Y, and Z. If you can't get to these points because they are inside the wiper control unit, then check points A B and C. But checking points X, Y, and Z is preferrably because that should identify a bad park switch.

Report back.

100_9779.jpg

Last edited:

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022
I can't get to the XYZ but I can get to the A,B&C and I will check for voltage. There are two connectors that plug in to the motor C1 and C2. The replacement motor came with a new park switch. Thanks, I appreciate your time. I am from the auto body and paint side but I like learning the electrical side of it.

Attachments

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I can't get to the XYZ but I can get to the A,B&C and I will check for voltage. There are two connectors that plug in to the motor C1 and C2. The replacement motor came with a new park switch. Thanks, I appreciate your time. I am from the auto body and paint side but I like learning the electrical side of it.
OK...If you replaced the motor, then we can assume the park switch is ok.
But make sure the wiper motor case has a good ground connection.
The A B and C readings should be telling...

BTW-
Make sure the when you perform the measurements that you don't have any of your work arounds in place that make it work.
Because that might make the measurement results different than what they would be when all wiring is connected in a normal way.

Last edited:

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
Here's the schematic of a 2-speed automotive windshield wiper.

123.png

The wiper will not park if the cam-operated switch does not change-over from + 12 V to 0 V.

Nandu.

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022

BTW-
Make sure the when you perform the measurements that you don't have any of your work arounds in place that make it work.
Because that might make the measurement results different than what they would be when all wiring is connected in a normal way.
Not sure what you mean by "have any of your work arounds in place that make it work"? Ok so I will ground the case although there was none from the factory. I will have the have the wipers running and the factory dash switch to off as I test for voltage at A,B,&C.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Not sure what you mean by "have any of your work arounds in place that make it work"?
You mentioned you installed a "fused toggle switch" or something like that.
We want to make sure something like that won't alter the test results and make us think the voltage reading are correct when they are not.

Ok so I will ground the case although there was none from the factory.
The case should be grounded. The schematic shows that.
Also, see the attached interesting .PDF "Grounding Wiper Motor Corrects Parking and Other Problems".

I will have the have the wipers running and the factory dash switch to off as I test for voltage at A,B,&C.
OK.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Since the TS has replaced the motor and that has not solved the problem, one must conclude that the problem is either in the control switch or in the wiring, unless the wipers are controlled by the body control computer.
I have a suggestion which is that it could possibly be due to damage to the wire harness, which will show up in the voltage check already suggested, but the location will still not be known. Searching for damage requires bright light and patience and good vision. and an understanding of what one is searching for, which is any cuts or damage, or any object penetrating the wire harness.
Certainly this is a bit of a stretch but damage does happen on occasion.
The very interesting part is that description that if theTS switches them off and they do not stop, but switches te ignition off and then back on, they park properly. That sounds like some intended function that is enabled but unidentified.

Last edited:

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022

BTW-
Gray wire - 11.11v with the wiper motor on but it's control/dash switch was off. Dark Green-11.25 yellow - 11.20- 11.19,18,17,16
These took place after the wipers were turned on and then turned off but still running. Also the additional ground made no difference either with it or without it. Thanks Read this from Haynes Electrical Manual I did try this and they still ran when I removed the control switch.

Attachments

Last edited:

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022
Since the TS has replaced the motor and that has not solved the problem, one must conclude that the problem is either in the control switch or in the wiring, unless the wipers are controlled by the body control computer.
I have a suggestion which is that it could possibly be due to damage to the wire harness, which will show up in the voltage check already suggested, but the location will still not be known. Searching for damage requires bright light and patience and good vision. and an understanding of what one is searching for, which is any cuts or damage, or any object penetrating the wire harness.
Certainly this is a bit of a stretch but damage does happen on occasion.
The very interesting part is that description that if theTS switches them off and they do not stop, but switches te ignition off and then back on, they park properly. That sounds like some intended function that is enabled but unidentified.
Not sure what the TS switch is? If you mean the toggle switch it does turn them off same as if the ignition was turned off and back on as they will then freeze and then with power back on but this only occurs if you have the control/dash switch set to off they will then park. Also I didn't notice this problem until after I pulled the stereo from the dash which took a bit of a tug. Toggle switch off equals freeze toggle switch on equals park. Where did you see any thing other then that? Thanks

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Gray wire - 11.11v with the wiper motor on but it's control/dash switch was off. Dark Green-11.25 yellow - 11.20- 11.19,18,17,16
These took place after the wipers were turned on and then turned off but still running. Also the additional ground made no difference either with it or without it. Thanks Read this from Haynes Electrical Manual I did try this and they still ran when I removed the control switch.
Ok...the reading a point B (gray wire) was 11.11 volts. This should never have +voltage if the key off and the wiper switch is off.

That, to me, says there could be two possibilities:

1. The control switch assembly is bad.

2. The control circuit inside the motor assembly is bad.

Item 2 above is inside the motor assembly. But you replaced the motor (which contains the park switch and limit switch).
Was the motor assembly replaced with a new part? or used part?

Have you replaced item 1 above?

I thought maybe a +12 sneak path was getting to point "B", but the +voltage is removed when you turn the key off, then on.

Last edited:

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022
You mentioned you installed a "fused toggle switch" or something like that.
We want to make sure something like that won't alter the test results and make us think the voltage reading are correct when they are not.

The case should be grounded. The schematic shows that.
Also, see the attached interesting .PDF "Grounding Wiper Motor Corrects Parking and Other Problems".

OK.
I had down loaded one of them through RochAuto.com tried it didn't work.

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022
Ok...the reading a point B (gray wire) was 11.11 volts.

That, to me, says there could be two possibilities:

1. The control switch is bad.
or
2. The wiper control is bad.

This assumes you replaced the motor (which contains the park switch and limit switch).

I thought maybe a +12 sneak path was getting to point "B", but the +voltage is removed when you turn the key off, then on.
I have three control switches that gave the same outcome.