Automotive- My windshield wipers will not park.

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022
The single stroke wipe does work and the higher speed and the wipe/ wash they all work but once turned on they will not stop until the voltage has stopped. And if the control switch isn't set to off and the voltage is returned the motor comes right back on as it should. The whole thing about the energized /voltage not being removed from the park electronics when it should seems like the answer but then again I know next to nothing on this matter. Thanks
Good point. The single stroke and wipe wash should stop by itself after it's cycle but it doesn't. Does that tell you anything or point to anything in particular?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
The whole thing about the energized /voltage not being removed from the park electronics when it should seems like the answer but then again I know next to nothing on this matter. Thanks
It is very clear on the schematic that voltage needs to be removed from point B, so the park switch (relay) is de-energized.

1666113484670.png

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
It is very clear on the schematic that voltage needs to be removed from point B, so the park switch (relay) is de-energized.

View attachment 278783
…which implies that there might be a problem in the wiring harness. One could measure from point B in the harness to ground. If there is 12V across those points with the wipers turned off and the wiper motor disconnected, that indicates a wiring issue. This link cross-references wiring instructions for many vehicles.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
…which implies that there might be a problem in the wiring harness. One could measure from point B in the harness to ground. If there is 12V across those points with the wipers turned off and the wiper motor disconnected, that indicates a wiring issue. This link cross-references wiring instructions for many vehicles.
Again, I'd start with the switch. It's the only mechanical part prone to failure due to normal use and wear other than the motor itself. This sort of malfunction is more probable than an electrical one.

I'd disconnect the switch, and activate the wipers by brieflely shorting the wires that the switch is supposed to connect together when activated... see if the motor cycles and stops when it's supposed to.

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022
Here is the culprit. I changed the cover from the used one and placed it on the remanufactured one. I was highly relieved when they stopped on their own. Thanks

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Not to muddle the original thread since the problem has been resolved, but I thought I’d explain my thought process because someone else may benefit from my mistake.

Most windshield wiper motors have the “Park” switch integral to the motor assembly. Since the TS stated a motor replacement did not fix the problem, I eliminated the park switch as the issue.

Apparently, while integral to the assembly, it was implemented in the cover. I wouldn’t have dismissed the switch had I not assumed that it was also replaced when the motor was replaced. My bad.

BTW, I haven’t worked on automobiles but have some experience with windshield wiper motors when used in animating props.

John La

Joined Oct 8, 2022
Not to muddle the original thread since the problem has been resolved, but I thought I’d explain my thought process because someone else may benefit from my mistake.

Most windshield wiper motors have the “Park” switch integral to the motor assembly. Since the TS stated a motor replacement did not fix the problem, I eliminated the park switch as the issue.

Apparently, while integral to the assembly, it was implemented in the cover. I wouldn’t have dismissed the switch had I not assumed that it was also replaced when the motor was replaced. My bad.

BTW, I haven’t worked on automobiles but have some experience with windshield wiper motors when used in animating props.
I understand. It dawned on me this morning during an e-mail chat that maybe it's electronics have something to do with it. Thanks