Automation, robotics and mechatronics sub-forum suggestion

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I truly believe that a discussion on electro-mechanical components, actuators etc. deserves a sub forum, instead of having to resource to the Off Topic section when one wants to discuss this sort of thing. It's in this site's best interest, I'm sure. There's tons of people out there with plenty of projects they might want to share with others, or help others with. I'm sure of it, because that's how I make a living.

Just a thought...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I truly believe that a discussion on electro-mechanical components, actuators etc. deserves a sub forum, instead of having to resource to the Off Topic section when one wants to discuss this sort of thing. It's in this site's best interest, I'm sure. There's tons of people out there with plenty of projects they might want to share with others, or help others with. I'm sure of it, because that's how I make a living.

Just a thought...
Seems closer to a general topic than an off topic topic.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I guess that could be argued... but sensors, and servos, steppers and other types of actuators are an entire universe unto themselves
Agreed, but everyone seems to watch the general sub forum, not everyone is watching the others.
You might have a better chance of getting an answer from an expert in the General subforum instead of just getting a best guess from one of the regulars in a Specialty subforum.

If you get your sensors and doodads subforum, I want one for current sensing resistors.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Agreed, but everyone seems to watch the general sub forum, not everyone is watching the others.
You might have a better chance of getting an answer from an expert in the General subforum instead of just getting a best guess from one of the regulars in a Specialty subforum.

If you get your sensors and dodads subforum, I want one for current sensing resistors.
What you've just mentioned qualifies into the already existing Test & Measurement subforum ... Having said that, robotics and automation mainly includes motion control and actuators ...

Let's see, we already have the forums of:
  • Test & Measurement
  • Programmer's corner
  • Computing and Networks
  • Embedded systems and MCU's

Personally, I'd join the "Computer and Networks" and the "Programmer's corner" into a single sub forum. And of course, anyone trying to discuss robotics and automation could create threads in any other forum, including General Electronics ...

Of course, it's just a subjective feeling of mine that this sort of thing deserves a space of its own. I'm no marketing or administrative expert, but it feels kind of odd that we have an automotive forum, which is quite specialized, and we don't have a robotics and mechatronics one, which is more far reaching and general...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I think we have too many subforums, do we really need one for physics and one for general science?

Analog & mixed signal
Digital design
Wireless and RF

One thread on each of those gets activity each day (actually less).

I think many of our books can be consolidated.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
This seems to be connected with fabrication in general. Building things that may or may not include electronic or electrical components.
Or, to make it clear that such discussions would be welcome in General Chat.