arduino

kamarul amin

Joined Dec 2, 2014
can someone tell me what is arduino all about? is it just a hardware that suitable for beginner like me?? i did search the arduino in the internet but i actually not really understand about it. my lecturer told me that the arduino is a must have for every electrical and electronic engineering student. but i don't really know about this thing. can anybody xplain it to me?

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
can someone tell me what is arduino all about? is it just a hardware that suitable for beginner like me?? i did search the arduino in the internet but i actually not really understand about it. my lecturer told me that the arduino is a must have for every electrical and electronic engineering student. but i don't really know about this thing. can anybody xplain it to me?
Arduino is an prototyping system. You have an main board with an microcontroller on it, and it is programmed in the C language. And there are many plugin peripherals too. Such as say an temperature sensor and LCDs etc...

Some people get stuck in their ways do not migrate and prefer to use say something like mikroC, an MCU and do everything from scratch on an piece of veroboard. This is me in fact.

Best to go with the times though...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Arduino is a computer board, system, concept, platform, made in Italy, based on a microcontroller chip ATmega328 made by Atmel an American company. The microcontroller AVR architecture was designed in Norway.

Why is Arduino significant?

It is an inexpensive system using a modular hardware and software design that allows third party developers and hobbyists to piggy back on to the system. It has become very popular by newcomers and hobbyists in the microcontroller world.

kamarul amin

Joined Dec 2, 2014
Arduino is an prototyping system. You have an main board with an microcontroller on it, and it is programmed in the C language. And there are many plugin peripherals too. Such as say an temperature sensor and LCDs etc...

Some people get stuck in their ways do not migrate and prefer to use say something like mikroC, an MCU and do everything from scratch on an piece of veroboard. This is me in fact.

Best to go with the times though...

it sounds like not pretty suitable for me as beginner,, right?? i dont really know all kind of stuff. but i do learn C programming now :)

kamarul amin

Joined Dec 2, 2014
Arduino is a computer board, system, concept, platform, made in Italy, based on a microcontroller chip ATmega328 made by Atmel an American company. The microcontroller AVR architecture was designed in Norway.

Why is Arduino significant?

It is an inexpensive system using a modular hardware and software design that allows third party developers and hobbyists to piggy back on to the system. It has become very popular by newcomers and hobbyists in the microcontroller world.
can i buy online??? i only just want a simple very simple board to play around and to learn. hehe

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Yeah very bad news / competition for mikroC and derivatives of mikro that include Pascal and BASIC etc... in the hobby world of electronics. mikroC is an decade-long platform that is very solid. Even the beta versions are hard to fault. It tends to steer away from traditional C though a bit, to make life easier it has no need for the programmer to have #include files in their code... little things like this that make it go against the grain. But I love mikroC and have some decent flight hours with it. I just ordered 16-pin ZIF sockets for the CMOS 4000 IC tester project that I am doing at the moment.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
But in my observation of Arduino, you tend to buy boards / modules that are like click, click clack with the main board rather than buying individual components to build from ground up.

All tired, true & tested 'building blocks' ... and you just connect them, mix and match them together... until you get / does what you want.

kamarul amin

Joined Dec 2, 2014
Yeah very bad news / competition for mikroC and derivatives of mikro that include Pascal and BASIC etc... in the hobby world of electronics. mikroC is an decade-long platform that is very solid. Even the beta versions are hard to fault. It tends to steer away from traditional C though a bit, to make life easier it has no need for the programmer to have #include files in their code... little things like this that make it go against the grain. But I love mikroC and have some decent flight hours with it. I just ordered 16-pin ZIF sockets for the CMOS 4000 IC tester project that I am doing at the moment.
wow, now you make me wondering what is the weird name all about . hehe btw, it is very good and nice that you are doing project

kamarul amin

Joined Dec 2, 2014
But in my observation of Arduino, you tend to buy boards / modules that are like click, click clack with the main board rather than buying individual components to build from ground up.

All tired, true & tested 'building blocks' ... and you just connect them, mix and match them together... until you get / does what you want.
yeah i just want to nuy a board and then put the components together. i just want to know where should i start

Succinctly, Arduino is the Atmel based 'answer' to the (well neigh former) Microchip based 'basic stamp' (albeit, to their credit, Arduino implements a 'garden variety' of 'C') --- IMNSHO such platforms are little more than toys which effectively handicap would-be developers with bad habits they'll find quite difficult to 'cast off' when the time comes to move up! --- How much better to endure the transient inconvenience attendant to development of your own hardware (for micro-controller{s} of whatever manufacture) than to figuratively 'hobble about on crutches' for the rest of your career... :rolleyes:

With genuinely helpful intent
HP:)

Last edited:

kamarul amin

Joined Dec 2, 2014
Succinctly, Arduino is the Atmel based equivelent to the (well neigh former) Microchip based 'basic stamp' (albeit, to their credit, Arduino implements a 'garden variety' of 'C') --- IMNSHO such platforms are little more than toys which effectively handicap would-be developers with bad habits they'll find quite difficult to 'cast off' when the time comes to move up! --- How much better to endure the transient inconvenience attendant to development of your own hardware (for micro-controller{s} of whatever manufacture) than to figuratively 'hobble about on crutches' for the rest of your career... :rolleyes:

With genuinely helpful intent
HP:)

micro-controller course i will take next year. i just curious about it.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
IMNSHO such platforms are little more than toys which effectively handicap would-be developers with bad habits they'll find quite difficult to 'cast off' when the time comes to move up! --- How much better to endure the
Someone is making a LOT of money. It sure as hell ain't me but someone is...

Do you consider mikroC to be a toy too? Or should we all just start off using assembly language which requires an IQ of 140+ on top of an science degree?

Someone is making a LOT of money. It sure as hell ain't me but someone is...

Do you consider mikroC to be a toy too? Or should we all just start off using assembly language which requires an IQ of 140+ on top of an science degree?
My principal 'gripe' is with pre-defined hardware platforms -- In any event it's not tools in general but crutches, I object to... And Yes! I believe IT students would benefit from a study of low-level programing! -- As I see it, it's not really a matter of intellect but, rather, alacrity at issue --- None of which is to say we must reinvent civilization every generation :)

Best regards
HP

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
IMNSHO such platforms are little more than toys which effectively handicap would-be developers with bad habits they'll find quite difficult to 'cast off' when the time comes to move up! --- How much better to endure the transient inconvenience attendant to development of your own hardware (for micro-controller{s} of whatever manufacture) than to figuratively 'hobble about on crutches' for the rest of your career...
I agree with these comments; while an Arduino can serve as an inexpensive, entry-level starting point for raw beginners, the goal for any engineering student should be to move beyond it as soon as possible and start designing, building and debugging your own hardware.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
My principal 'gripe' is with pre-defined hardware platforms -- In any event it's not tools in general but crutches, I object to... And Yes! I believe IT students would benefit from a study of low-level programing! -- As I see it, it's not really a matter of intellect but, rather, alacrity at issue --- None of which is to say we must reinvent civilization every generation.
A lot of guys cannot get beyond the BASIC language. It is just too hard to come to grips with, no matter how much alacrity (enthusiasm / passion) Even with all those new brain cells that develop when you want something so so bad. A splitting headache coupled with doing your head in is no fun.