Arduino strikes again...

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Inasmuch as the article 'comment feature' didn't seem to work I offer my 'take' here:
***the above edited for veracity and civility :oops:***

In response to this article:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/actually-arduino-isnt-just-for-hobbyists/

My comment (all of the following):

Tinker Toys and Erector Sets...
Produce something even an idiot can use and it'll persist to perpetuity - no new news there! -- While a 'race to the bottom' is all well and good for business, fostering development of scientific/technical talent would seem to require a bare modicum of intellectual integrity!? -- Well hey... Having thus freed the 'user' of the oh-so onerous and unfair burden of original thought, what's next? Perhaps a smart phone App that merely simulates designs? After all, reality can be way too challenging and scary! --- Educated idiots in the name of profits! - Sounds like a plan! (wan smile)

Whatever!
HP

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We suspected as much from the events surrounding the transition. As a personal matter I have decided to to boycott all areas of AAC not related to the forum and the online textbook, and I haven't suffered any cases of the heartburn that has afflicted HP since.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
We suspected as much from the events surrounding the transition. As a personal matter I have decided to to boycott all areas of AAC not related to the forum and the online textbook, and I haven't suffered any cases of the heartburn that has afflicted HP since.
Sounds like a good idea! -- Unfortunately, in my case, security requires that my browser 'crumbles cookies' -- Thus I'm 'treated' to the 'shill screen' at each login:(:(:(

In all fairness I wish to state that, IMO, many of the articles and news items are likely of genuine interest (especially as 'starting points') to 'nubes' and casual surfers -- nor am I by any manner of certainty that the comment feature is broken by design --- Even so, the brazen Arduino shilling/apologism vested in the linked article is more than I can stand!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Knocking back a handful of antihypertensives and moving on:cool:

Best regards
HP

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
That "article" is to me like a drunk advertisement o**y. But in all fairness arduino does get some uncalled for shots in the EE community. Other than that I don't really see the point of that text if I ignore the links to various sites there is...

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Just telling them that their efforts are for naught probably drives them slightly crazy. One can but hope for such an outcome.
It's like selling picks, shovels, and Levis to 49'ers. There's gold in the mountain of technology prospectors.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Kind friends...

I have changed the title of this thread inasmuch as I feel the original was unnecessarily inflammatory and off point... My 'bicker' is with Arduino and the insular 'culture' it represents/encourages - Moreover (from the perspective of 'cooler blood') I very much doubt censorship is at issue:oops:

Best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Sounds like a good idea! -- Unfortunately, in my case, security requires that my browser 'crumbles cookies' -- Thus I'm 'treated' to the 'shill screen' at each login:(:(:(

In all fairness I wish to state that, IMO, many of the articles and news items are likely of genuine interest (especially as 'starting points') to 'nubes' and casual surfers -- nor am I by any manner of certainty that the comment feature is broken by design --- Even so, the brazen Arduino shilling/apologism vested in the linked article is more than I can stand!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Best regards
HP
Hi HP,

I always access the site via the following link:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com

You will probably still be required to log in if your browser is set to clear cookies, and I'm not sure what is shown on the login page, but give it a try and let me know.

Matt

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hi HP,

I always access the site via the following link:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com

You will probably still be required to log in if your browser is set to clear cookies, and I'm not sure what is shown on the login page, but give it a try and let me know.

Matt
Thanks!!! -- That's quite an improvement!!!:):):) -- Instead of an entire page of annoying content, it's now merely a narrow 'mouse minefield' across the top of the login screen:cool: --- Needless to say I've updated my shortcut:cool:

Very best regards

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I like Arudino and most of other dev. boards
I dunno -- I prefer to 'cut to the chase' and simply low-level program and directly interface embedded processors/controllers -- sans recourse to pre fab 'toy shops' or 'training wheels' -- 'tailored' design just plain works better:) --- IMO there are those in the 'industry' whom, for reasons of their own, are highly motivated to further 'blur the line' intervening hardware and software design...

My $.02

Best regards

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I dunno -- I prefer to 'cut to the chase' and simply low-level program and directly interface embedded processors/controllers -- sans recourse to pre fab 'toy shops' or 'training wheels' -- 'tailored' design just plain works better:) --- IMO there are those in the 'industry' whom, for reasons of their own, are highly motivated to further 'blur the line' intervening hardware and software design...

My $.02

Best regards
I'm with you. Arduino is so high-level that you can't really learn with it. The Arduino is for people who don't know what they're doing who want to make a one-time project. If you want to learn how to use micros, start with straight PICs or AVRs and program in assembly. THAT is how you learn how micros work and how to use them.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I'm with you. Arduino is so high-level that you can't really learn with it. The Arduino is for people who don't know what they're doing who want to make a one-time project. If you want to learn how to use micros, start with straight PICs or AVRs and program in assembly. THAT is how you learn how micros work and how to use them.
My sentiments exactly -- thus it is that Arduino (et al) is, at best, a dubious educational tool --- I find the (linked article's) 'legitimization' of such expedients as design solutions both appalling and, frankly, a grotesque eversion of common sense...:confused::rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm using anti-spasmodics today. I'm going to have to saw those sway bar links out from under the Ford Explorer because the rust layers are too effective for me to disassemble them.:(

If they turn out to be hardened steel, I still have my oxy-acetylene torch.:cool:
That seems much easier than trying to swing a crow bar in an 18 inch tall space.:mad:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I'm using anti-spasmodics today. I'm going to have to saw those sway bar links out from under the Ford Explorer because the rust layers are too effective for me to disassemble them.:(

If they turn out to be hardened steel, I still have my oxy-acetylene torch.:cool:
That seems much easier than trying to swing a crow bar in an 18 inch tall space.:mad:
If you can get at it with an impact driver it's a win-win -- to wit: (@500 Ft LBS) the bolts either loosen or shear -- either way 'tis easier than cutting and twice the 'fun'!:D:)

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If you can get at it with an impact driver it's a win-win
Wrong. That was the first thing I used. Now I'm at a bolt inside a sleeve, and the sleeve isn't threaded. They were, "slip fit" but that was before the tube filled up with rust.

Love ya, HP, but you are so far behind me in auto mechanics that I'm afraid you will embarrass your self.:oops:

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014

Car is already beginning to rust or its just the suspension parts?