Arduino Shields?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Re: Question 2

Yes, there are wireless Ethernet shields. Click to see one.

When using multiple shields, make sure there aren't any pin conflicts. I2C and other interfaces usually have unique addresses. Also, depending on which Arduino you are using, check that it supports the shields you are considering. Some require modifications to work. For example, there are specific mods on a MP3 shield and a Mega.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Re: Question 2

Yes, there are wireless Ethernet shields. Click to see one.

When using multiple shields, make sure there aren't any pin conflicts. I2C and other interfaces usually have unique addresses. Also, depending on which Arduino you are using, check that it supports the shields you are considering. Some require modifications to work. For example, there are specific mods on a MP3 shield and a Mega.

So does that mean it depends on if they are stackable?

How would you know if there is a conflict? Will the list the peripherals it uses?

What about binary in / out lines? Assuming the Arduino has such an animal.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
My other question is, will the ethernet connection act like a com port to the PC much like the USB port does?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Re: Question 1

It is likely stackable. Make sure that all intervening shields have stackable headers. Since most shields package the headers separately, for you to solder, you can always buy stackable headers if your shield doesn't come with them.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
No one yet answered by question if ehternet connection on Arduino acts a a terminal (serial port). Anyone know?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
normally connection to ethernet shield is SPI
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2891
That is the internal connection between the Arduino and the shield. Ethernet communications are handled through the associated library. The functions provided in the library may act like a terminal. I am inspecific because your description of the communication as a terminal is vague to me.

The library for that shield is documented here. When researching an Arduino shield, I make sure I understand the library first. Each product description usually contains a link to the library documentation.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What I need to know is can I see it as a comport on my pc so I can connect instead of using the USB connection. I want it to be wireless from my PC.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
What I need to know is can I see it as a comport on my pc so I can connect instead of using the USB connection. I want it to be wireless from my PC.
I'm no comms expert, but I believe the answer is "no." It would be a TCP/IP connection, not a COM port or equivalent.

If what you want is effectively a "wireless COM port" then you might consider a couple of XBee modules to create a serial link, or possibly Bluetooth LE.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/964
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2479