Arduino prototype to a permanent solution

jakethehusky

Joined Mar 24, 2016
Hey,

I'm new to electronics and I just finished a little project where I use an Arduino to control a rgb led strip. Now after testing for quite a while I decided I want to keep this . However I don't want to buy a new Arduino and use the old one. I've seen people using a mini AT and program it through an Arduino, but the ones I found like this only have 2 pwm outputs and I need 3, R G & B. And if possible I would like to connect it to PC and be able to control it that way still.

What is best for this ? Arduino nano, some chip, ...

Thanks in advance
-Jake

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Hey,

I'm new to electronics and I just finished a little project where I use an Arduino to control a rgb led strip. Now after testing for quite a while I decided I want to keep this . However I don't want to buy a new Arduino and use the old one. I've seen people using a mini AT and program it through an Arduino, but the ones I found like this only have 2 pwm outputs and I need 3, R G & B. And if possible I would like to connect it to PC and be able to control it that way still.

What is best for this ? Arduino nano, some chip, ...

Thanks in advance
-Jake
look at the Microchip low cost pic range most of them support 2-3 pwm. or build the pwm in a even cheaper mpu yourself easy to do.

jakethehusky

Joined Mar 24, 2016
look at the Microchip low cost pic range most of them support 2-3 pwm. or build the pwm in a even cheaper mpu yourself easy to do.
Hey thanks for the info, but could you give me some tips on choosing microschips since there are tons out there and I'm not sure which one to pick. It would need 3 pwm outputs and 6 inputs (digital).

what is an mpu ? do you have any tutorials on how to make your own pwm?

Thanks a lot !

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Can you please explain what an AVR is ? I'm still a noob when it comes to electronics.
Arduino uses ATmel microcontrollers. To be specific, Adruino uses ATmel AVR architecture microcontrollers. ATmel AVR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmel_AVR

What Dan is trying to tell you is that you can build your own Arduino board by buying the components and assembling them on breadboard or perforboard or some other medium, then use your store bought Arduino board to program the chip on your "custom" Arduino board. The advantage of this is that you get the exact features you want, and don't invest any resources into features you don't need. However, since you want to connect your new board to pc, I think it would be easier to just buy a factory made board, perhaps Arduino Nano or its clone. Arduino Nano is much smaller than Uno, but it does have usb support so you can connect it to pc, and it has several PWM so you can do your RGB thing.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Hey thanks for the info, but could you give me some tips on choosing microschips since there are tons out there and I'm not sure which one to pick. It would need 3 pwm outputs and 6 inputs (digital).

what is an mpu ? do you have any tutorials on how to make your own pwm?

Thanks a lot !
look at microchip.com selection guide. mpu -> micro processor unit
Look at one of my previous replies on this subject I did provide sample code there

jakethehusky

Joined Mar 24, 2016