Arduino help..

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I am looking to build my own reflow oven controller .. My problem comes I never played with arduino before..So I was looking to pick up a arduino clone to play with .. But I had a thought of using a Teensy instead of the arduino uno..I have book on using the arduino but thought the Teensy would better suited ???
Has anyone used a teensy before and how did it go ??

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You can skip the rest if you want, because I've not used the Teensy,

But I've considered it as well as other Arduino compatible uP. Your query raised several questions.

What makes the Teensy better suited? Is it the number of IO pins? The supply voltage? The memory available? Are you aware of the Arduino Pro Mini? The Adafruit Trinket?...

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
You can skip the rest if you want, because I've not used the Teensy,
I am sorry skip what ?? I am not understanding what is being said..
But I've considered it as well as other Arduino compatible uP. Your query raised several questions.

What makes the Teensy better suited? Is it the number of IO pins? The supply voltage? The memory available? Are you aware of the Arduino Pro Mini? The Adafruit Trinket?...
I know with reflow code you are about limit of the memory on the uno ..The teensy has alot better specs all around it seems but not sure cause I am new to this..
Here is what I am working off of ..
http://www.rocketscream.com/blog/portfolio-item/reflow-controller-shield/
Files on Github
https://github.com/rocketscream/Reflow-Oven-Controller

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
There are numerous boards build around/compatible with the Arduino "platform".. (and many of those are "better" than an Uno, etc... aka faster clock speecs/more memory/native USB support,etc...)

If the board has the I/O, Memory,etc.. that you need then go for it.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
There are numerous boards build around/compatible with the Arduino "platform".. (and many of those are "better" than an Uno, etc... aka faster clock speecs/more memory/native USB support,etc...)

If the board has the I/O, Memory,etc.. that you need then go for it.
My issue comes as the code I am using is arduino based and wouldn't even know to mod the code for another platform...I never played with one before and guess some research is needed

Last edited:

sailorjoe

Joined Jun 4, 2013
The thing you want to, the reflow controller, is a relatively simple control problem. In this case, the added capabilities of the Teensy don't make any difference for you. If you have Arduino code, use an Arduino. You'll eliminate lots of problems getting your project done.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Has anyone used a teensy before and how did it go ??
Unless you have something different in mind, a reflow oven is fairly simple to control so pretty much anything would work.

I happen to like Paul's work and the teensy has a lot of room for additional development / future projects. However, the code base isn't as good and the "shields" are not as plentiful.

If you are just starting, Arduino sounds like an easier route to go.

sailorjoe

Joined Jun 4, 2013
There is no problem using "Arduino" code on the Teensy..
I haven't programmed a Teensy yet so I'll take your word for it. But for a beginner, I still like the Arduino. the power supply is already there, the connector for the computer is already there, and there are lots of shields available. So with a USB cable and a wall wart a beginner can get started.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I haven't programmed a Teensy yet so I'll take your word for it. But for a beginner, I still like the Arduino. the power supply is already there, the connector for the computer is already there, and there are lots of shields available. So with a USB cable and a wall wart a beginner can get started.
Just install the software addin in the arduino IDE and a USB cable and go.. http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html

sailorjoe

Joined Jun 4, 2013
Just install the software addin in the arduino IDE and a USB cable and go.. http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html
Hey, no argument the Teensy is a fine option. But your note makes my point, because it requires that you load up a software addin. Also, per Teensy's own documentation, it may not be compatible with all the software available for the Arduino, because they don't test and validate all available software. Both of these things add additional variables for a person who doesn't have the necessary background to deal with them, if anything should go wrong. After you've done your first project, and you know how an IDE and an SoC are supposed to work, then these other options become more reachable.

In this case, for a reflow controller, how much memory is really needed? How much processor speed is really needed? How will our OP power the Teensy after his project is built, or will it always be plugged into his laptop?

For our OP, you'll find that the Arduino or the Teensy have everything you need from a processor standpoint. If you have instructions to follow, pick whatever they used. If not, the Teensy is cheaper, but that's because of what it doesn't have on the circuit board compared to the Arduino.