APC BX1500 unknown part

GrandpaKS

Joined Jan 4, 2021
Hello,
I have an APC BX1500 which stopped working. For the last year I had to reduce the "sensitivity" of the line input. When the unit failed last month, I ordered new batteries (RBC33) but that did not fix the problem. I pulled the circuit board with the intent of testing/replacing the mosfets in Q1 through Q6 per someone else post with a similar problem. While I was inspecting the board, I found the inductor "Falco 0316 420-0098-0" showed visible signs of burn/melt (see attached). I found the schematics for the BX1500, and this part in location L1 of the "RTH-Bridge DC/AC Inverter" and rated at 650uH/4.5A. I cannot find this part anywhere - Mouser, Digikey or any Google hit. This is a 5 pin device which makes me wonder if it really is an inductor.

Is this an Inductor and does anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Thanks

Attachments

GrandpaKS

Joined Jan 4, 2021
Thanks, I read the inductor design for converters (not sure why I did not find that in my searches). I had also checked out the Falco site earlier but they do not list parts. I have sent them an email in the hopes they can tell me where I can order this part from.

Another question - Since this inductor failed, do they typically fail on their own(age or defective) or due to the failure of a prior component. Assuming Falco can tell me where I can get a replacement, I questioning if I can just resolder new and power up or if I need to remove/test all the other components (dont want to cause more problems)

essegi

Joined Mar 11, 2021
Hi GrandpaKS,
I probably have your same problem. My APC Group doesn't work fine.
it continuously switches from electric current to batteries. I also see that the FALCO component is a bit physically burned. Do you solve the problem? Sorry for the poor English language

GrandpaKS

Joined Jan 4, 2021
Unfortunately no, I never thought it would be this hard to replace the part. I sent an email to FALCO in Florida but they never responded. I have researched many electronic surplus sites but no one has a 5 pin inductor anywhere close to the required specifications. My fear is this part/specification was unique to APC which is why I cannot find anything close. My APC had the same problem (continuously switch between line and battery) for a short while before final failure. I really hoped with all the knowledge on this forum that someone would know where to find this part. If you are able to find a replacement please let me know where.

Has anyone tried to rebuild this part? If so, any instructions or guidance?