Any woodworkers here?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Holy crap, man! What the heck are you going to do with that? Just buy a saw mill and be done with it.
Most serious carpenter entrepreneurs have one. I'd like one to split plywood when I do projects with wood. Now I split the sheets at the shop, so they fit in my car, and then I use the circular handsaw, in a link a few post back, to split even more. I have a table saw, but it is standing in a tight area, so I can not handle big sheets there.

This is my latest wood project. A bait station, with a metal tray, to hold about 10Kg of rat poison. The bottom and a few cm of the wall is painted with clear lacquer, so the rat "droppings" won't stick too much when we clean it.
ratpoisenbaitbox.jpg

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Thanks. Fixed it. The first link was supposed to be this.
For an $11 part i would order it without worry. I think it might be a typo; 16A @ 120v is 2 1/2 HP. Lots of people saying that they're using it on 2-3HP inductive loads (saws, routers, etc.).

One reviewer also indicated that his large circular saw causes it to "trip"; although overload protection isn't listed in the description, neither is the magnetic holding contact that many of the reviews mention.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I've cut a couple of boards.
The one labeled, "puppies" is really about the birthing box. There is a horizontal plate half way up the sides of the box so the mama can't lay on a pup and squish it.
The one about Mason Jars is really about the shelves. About $12 worth of wood holds a lot of my vegetable garden.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
But I can only attach 10 pix per post.
The door frame photo is really about the size of a lawyer's ego. He wanted opulence...I gave him opulence. Sorry I never took a photo after it was painted.:(

Attachments

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Cool projects @#12 !
I especially like the 'settlin' torch holder.
I suppose that, since the torch holder is my favorite, that probably means it's your least favorite. That's how it usually works for me; i work my ass off on countless large scale projects involving, from my perspective, untold brilliance on my part, and people are more impressed by the 20 holes i drilled in a 2x4 to hold my drill bits.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This is a repost from the Black Friday Madness thread; not sure who might have seen it there.

It's a sand/soda blasting cabinet I made on the cheap & quick, out of crap I had laying around.
I'm almost embarrassed to post it here; it isn't so much a case of "I made this beautiful piece to complement the sophisticated ambiance of my elite workshop," as it was "holy crap, I have 30 cabinet doors to strip and I'm losing almost 25lbs of soda to the back lawn for each door - I need a blasting cabinet, now."

Last edited by a moderator:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I understand how the box joint jig is used in general, but I don't see how it can cut more than the first slot.
Not #12 but I know how they work. If you look at jpg#3 there are two 'channels', they go in the miter gauge slots in the saw table. To guide and locate the jig. In jpg#4 there are two slots, one with a bar projecting from it. You put the edge of the work against the bar for the first cut. The you put that first slot against the bar and cut the second slot. The you put the second slot against the bar and cut the third, and repeat until you have cut all your slots. The face of the jig that has the bar sticking out is the back stop to hold the work up right to do the cutting.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Not #12 but I know how they work. If you look at jpg#3 there are two 'channels', they go in the miter gauge slots in the saw table. To guide and locate the jig. In jpg#4 there are two slots, one with a bar projecting from it. You put the edge of the work against the bar for the first cut. The you put that first slot against the bar and cut the second slot. The you put the second slot against the bar and cut the third, and repeat until you have cut all your slots. The face of the jig that has the bar sticking out is the back stop to hold the work up right to do the cutting.
Thanks. I overlooked jpg#4 and only studied jpg#7 and jpg#3.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I love the fact that pictures were taken during the process. I tend to end up regretting not taking photos of my work. But, I do invest time in doing detailed drawing and writing notes, in anticipation of trying to do it again myself years in the future. It's shocking how bad your writing is when you have to look at it years later.

Here is a screen shot of my nightstand plans. If anyone ever sees this and wants to build it, send me a PM and I can send the full details. I originally designed this as a copy of a piece my wife and I had purchased, and I scaled it to be able to use an edge-glued panel available at Home Depot for the top piece. I didn't feel comfortable trying to make my own at furniture quality. Lucky me, they quit offering that item so I had to make my own edge-glued top and rescaled the drawing for the lumber that was available. Once I got it all done, Home Depot restocked the pre-made panel! Good grief. But I think my DIY top is likely better than the stock panel, which is no longer available anyway.

Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 10.49.14 AM.png