any way to check compatible alternative component?

Bazzie91

Joined Oct 20, 2019
hello , i cant figgure out what component i can use instead of the listed one, is there a golden rule to find alternatives.

im a.t.m. building this circuit (down below)
which is a velleman design and i when i understand the circuit a bit more will try to mod.. ( very novice noob )

but i cant find any clear explainaition what paramiters for a diode are crucial , and if it hurts to replace a diode with a schottky or fastswitch diode.. and vice versa .

the diode im looking for is sb130 schottky ,, ( right bottom/middle of the circuit connected to gnd )

i dont want just an alternative part. . i want to know why i can replace it with another and what specs should match at the minimum . for a diode to be considered an alternative ..

hope u guys could help .

353r3rr3.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
is there a golden rule to find alternatives.
You study the circuit, determine the important parameters, and select a replacement that's equivalent to or better than the original.

Some manufacturers cross reference their part numbers to competitor part numbers. That's also an option, but there's no comprehensive list.

The diode should have a reverse breakdown voltage and current rating equal to or greater than the one you're replacing, and a recovery time that's less than or equal to the current diode.

EDIT: Or you can analyze the circuit and pick something appropriate (because the original part may have been over spec'ed).

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
hello , i cant figgure out what component i can use instead of the listed one, is there a golden rule to find alternatives.

im a.t.m. building this circuit (down below)
which is a velleman design and i when i understand the circuit a bit more will try to mod.. ( very novice noob )

but i cant find any clear explainaition what paramiters for a diode are crucial , and if it hurts to replace a diode with a schottky or fastswitch diode.. and vice versa .

the diode im looking for is sb130 schottky ,, ( right bottom/middle of the circuit connected to gnd )

i dont want just an alternative part. . i want to know why i can replace it with another and what specs should match at the minimum . for a diode to be considered an alternative ..

hope u guys could help .

View attachment 193928
OK, In this circuit the shottkey diode is used to suppress an inductive spike, so the voltage and current ratings are important. And since it is a fast spike, the diode response times are also important. That also relates to junction cpacitance, which affects response times. But first voltage and current need to match. Hopefully this helps a bit.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No, there are no golden rules in the sense that you may not be able to find a viable alternative, especially since most manufacturers have switched to producing only SMT devices. Through hole components are becoming scarcer then hen's teeth.