ANTENNA?Wheres the antennaon this PCB...help please

dazedonred

Joined Dec 14, 2012
This belongs to an rf remote but the range is very limited.So first I attached an extended antenna to the reciever unit. And in true tinkerer fashion I decided I needed to add an external antenna to the sending unit. Simple I thought,that was my first mistake,thinkingI knew what I was doing was my 2nd mistake.3rd mistake I dont know what the internal antenna looks like so I can add the external antenna. Can someone please tell me which is the antenna on this PCB?? Thank you!!!!

Attachments

dazedonred

Joined Dec 14, 2012
As I mentioned I thought this was going to be easy.Now that you traced it for me Im concerned about how and where to attach the antenna. If you'd like to offer you opinion,I would certainly like to hear it...well,read it anyway. I was really leaning to the long bar running from bottom left up. As you've probably have figured out I have little no electronics knowledge. So again thank you for sharing yours.

dazedonred

Joined Dec 14, 2012
to see the backside of the circuit board, hopefully this will help some of you give me a definitive answer as I seem to be getting some conflicting opinions I don't have any room to speak as I don't know anything about this kind of stuff. thank you all again very much for your input. I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Attachments

Bouval

Joined Dec 16, 2012
The straight trace with no termination goes to ground (-), so it cannot be the antenna.

Like Bertus, I'd say it's the trace marked with red, kind of a loop antenna.

It would be useless to add an external antenna to that RF remote, same for the extension you've put at the receiver unit.

dazedonred

Joined Dec 14, 2012
Adding an antenna to the sending unit may not be worth the trouble, however by adding the external antenna to the receiving unit how to giving me an extra 25 feet of range. I'm not sure if I mentioned but the other and 10 on the receiving it was just a copper wire coiled up and laying inside the receiver units box. so all I actually did was take that copper wire pull it to the side of the box and add an actual antenna rather than just the copper wire lying inside of the box.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do you have a picture of the reciever?
That way we can see how to connect the external antenna.
Looking at the remote's picture, the frequency seems to be 315 Mhz.

Bertus

tinamishra

Joined Dec 1, 2012
Great conversation held here but i have a little information about antenna that is An antenna can be described as any cable, or conductor, that has a flashing or ac. Such a present will generate an electro-magnetic place around the cable and that place will defeat and vary as the electrical powered existing does. If another cable is placed close by, the electro-magnetic place collections that mixture this cable will generate an power that is a copy of the exclusive existing, only gradual. If the cable is relatively long, with regards to trend duration, it will display much of that place over long varies.

dazedonred

Joined Dec 14, 2012
Thank you all for helping me out I learned quite a lot.My new question is can I purchase material from lets say Radio Shed and boost the strength of the signal? I did get about 25 more feet by pulling the antenna that was curled up inside the receiving unit and making it an external one. But ultimately Id like to be able to boost the receiving of the sending device. There are a few pictures of it throughout this thread but if anyone that may be able to help needs more information I'll respond as quickly as possible. Thank you all

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
the PT2264 chip is a remote control encoder. The BX R315A is an encoder for an RF transmitter. According to the attached data sheet, pin 17 is the data output. From there it is fed to the BX R315A. An antenna extension or RF amplifier circuit (PN918 or equiv.) could be used there.

Attachments

Last edited: