Analog crossover design with active linear phase EQ?

SynPar

Joined Nov 4, 2020
Bit of a tall order, I know. I've found myself needing to become an electronics engineer. I can learn stuff & math usually makes sense to me.

I'll explain a bit more. I'm designing an active sound system. I know the crossover points and the balancing EQ curve, but need a little guidance in terms of application. I understand passive resistance well, the old way of doing things, but boosts and active equalization are different. I've applied for the PurePath application from TI with a description of my concept, hoping they will approve me. Yes, I used the company email haha

Any resources are appreciated. Of course, I'd love to hire someone to do it for me, to be perfectly honest, but it's something I have been putting off learning for years and years. I'm working with a skilled manufacturing engineer. We are giving ourselves two years to create proof of concept, fun times.

SynPar

Joined Nov 4, 2020
Finding quite a few resources now on my own haha, just had to look. I'm sure I'll be back with questions.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Take a look at the forums at diyaudio.com Plenty of discussion there of active and passive and DSP stuff.

I've built a few active crossovers over the years, and eventually settled on a 4th order LR. But there's something to be said for a DSP "speaker management" system, like the Behringer Ultra-Drive Pro DCX2496 (or dbx DriveRack). It could make sense to prototype with DSP, find the filter characteristics you need, then implement them with analog stuff. (But check out diyaudio; you might be able do that with a PC and sound card, or with a standalone miniDSP.)