An alternative to PIC16F84A?

Fuji

Joined Nov 8, 2014
PIC16F84A is getting obsolete and more expensive. I want to know an alternative to this Microcontroller with the same amount of pins.

Anybody aware of the cheapest Microcontroller out there with 18+ pins as well? Sometimes its hard to choose the right Microcontroller with more options.

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Unanimously, the 16f84 has a pretty small memory, and is expensive too.

The 16f1709 isnt bad, not sure if it has 18 or 20 pins tough, well, you can remove the two extra pins, and wire them from the top ahaha. Or put the SOIC on adapter PCB.

Fuji

Joined Nov 8, 2014
Unanimously, the 16f84 has a pretty small memory, and is expensive too.

The 16f1709 isnt bad, not sure if it has 18 or 20 pins tough, well, you can remove the two extra pins, and wire them from the top ahaha. Or put the SOIC on adapter PCB.
Thanks for the input.

What do you think of PIC16F54-E/P ?
https://www.microchipdirect.com/Pro...ip&Category=PIC16F54&mid=1&treeid=1&lmid=1002

All I am using is an XT oscillator, 2 LED's and a buzzer. Basically wanting to program the microcontroller in C language for these components only.

When I look for more functions in a microcontroller, what is more important to look at? Is it Ram, KBytes, KWords or Timers? Or all if I should say are important in general?

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Nope. It doesn't have the same stack and memory. If your program uses them, pffft.

Take a look at 16F627. I ported some C54 and F84A stuff to it awhile back with no issues (that I can recall :) ) and with no code changes other than config bits, configuring shared analog pins etc. Same 18 pinout.

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Thanks for the input.

https://www.microchipdirect.com/Pro...ip&Category=PIC16F54&mid=1&treeid=1&lmid=1002

All I am using is an XT oscillator, 2 LED's and a buzzer. Basically wanting to program the microcontroller in C language for these components only.

When I look for more functions in a microcontroller, what is more important to look at? Is it Ram, KBytes, KWords or Timers? Or all if I should say are important in general?
Its cheap. You can buzz a buzzer or blink some LEDs.

But you cant use a small TFT.

you should have 8K FLASH at least, and 1K RAM, there is the case when you dont need it, get some 16F54...

You can decode LED 7seg with 16F54 and stuff like that

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Nope. It doesn't have the same stack and memory. If your program uses them, pffft.

Take a look at 16F627. I ported some C54 and F84A stuff to it awhile back with no issues (that I can recall :) ) and with no code changes other than config bits, configuring shared analog pins etc. Same 18 pinout.
Years ago I went to Maplin for a couple of 84s - they pretty much stung me on price!

They advised me to switch to the 627 - or the 628 with more memory etc.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
First you want to find a part with all the features you need -- for instance UART, A/D, analog comparator and the like. Then find a part that has all of the features you need plus a few you may need. Finally, order parts that have more pins and a lot more memory than the part you found. Use this part for prototyping hardware and software.

When you have everything working to your satisfaction, choose a part that has only what you actually need to get the cost down.