AM SIGNAL

hero22222222222

Joined Dec 22, 2019
Hi, I'm currently reading about DSBSC signals and Full AM signals but I just don't understand the difference between them.

Can someone please help by either explaining or recommending an online resource

Thx

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Look in Google. A Double SideBand Suppressed Carrier signal has no carrier transmitted. The receiver must produce and add a carrier of the same frequency and phase as the missing carrier.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Basically AM broadcasts the carrier signal all the time, even with no modulation, with the upper and lower sidebands (frequency and amplitude) determined by the modulation signal.

DSBSC suppress the carrier and broadcasts only the upper and lower sideband signal.
With no modulation, there is no carrier.
You can generate a DSBSC signal by multiplying the carrier signal by the modulating signal.

hero22222222222

Joined Dec 22, 2019
Basically AM broadcasts the carrier signal all the time, even with no modulation, with the upper and lower sidebands (frequency and amplitude) determined by the modulation signal.

DSBSC suppress the carrier and broadcasts only the upper and lower sideband signal.
With no modulation, there is no carrier.
You can generate a DSBSC signal by multiplying the carrier signal by the modulating signal.
Ok thank you.

What is the difference between a DSBSC signal and a full AM SIGNAL with a modulation index of 1?

(The signals look the same )

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I'm just curious how one can demodulate an overmodulted AM SIGNAL. I know you can use an envelope detector if it isn't overmodulated
You can use an envelope detector for that also but the sound would be distorted, of course.
Why do you think coherent demodulation will help.?
Why are you concerned about an overmodulated signal?