Alternative to PiezoElectric Igniter

Jonas15

Joined Nov 6, 2018
Hi, I'm developing a project and i need to control the ignition of a propane torch to flame granite. I've been reading a lot information about the piezoelectric effect that is used by common lighters or by the torches that i'm talkin about, but it looks kind of hard to control de piezoelectric effect with a robot without using mechanical parts like servo motors with a lever to push the button of the igniter. So here I am looking for some help or suggestion that i could use to make the sparkle necessary to ignite the flame.

Thanks!

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
This is what you need ... the electronics that power a taser produces a scary spark . runs of 3.6V ...a few euros on eBay , lots of similar items put "high voltage generator" in eBay search .

Last edited:

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
It does not even have to be a spark. Most things like furnaces and even some ovens have gone to what is called , "hot surface ignitor". the reason for the change is they need little or no maintenance
Call me cynical but I suspect the reason for the change over is the exact opposite .. they're 10 times more expensive (on eBay) and since they involve passing current through an exposed metal element they need replacing regularly ...

Alternatively what can go wrong with an encapsulated spark generator and a spark gap ??

From your link ... "Labor Cost. The labor costs involved to replace the hot surface ignitor will vary by area but generally start at $75. Including the part and service, the costs can go up to $300. When the furnace ignitor malfunctions, the furnace won't operate.." ....."According to the Gas Furnace Guide,hot surface ignitors have an average lifespan of four to seven years. "

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
My experience is just the opposite. And to think someone coming here to get ideas wouldn't be able to install it himself is not a good reason not to try.

Jonas15

Joined Nov 6, 2018
This is what you need ... the electronics that power a taser produces a scary spark . runs of 3.6V ...a few euros on eBay , lots of similar items put "high voltage generator" in eBay search .

Thanks, i really appreciate your help i didn't know about those high voltage generators. I show that to workmate and he got a little bit scared, but we will give it a try.

Jonas15

Joined Nov 6, 2018
It does not even have to be a spark. Most things like furnaces and even some ovens have gone to what is called , "hot surface ignitor". The biggest reason that they have switched over the years from both pilot lights and spark generators is they need little or no maintenance and are 'solid state'. Just a random page of the many types available - https://www.google.com/search?clien...1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.7T_ZGDEp0ps
Thanks, i really appreciate your help. That looks to me a more safe ideia but i can't imagine how I'm going to put that ignitor on the torch without blocking the flame output.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thanks, i really appreciate your help. That looks to me a more safe ideia but i can't imagine how I'm going to put that ignitor on the torch without blocking the flame output.
They don't go in the flame path, they go parallel or adjacent to it.