Alternative for AP3031KTR DC/DC step up converter

funnyhaha

Joined Apr 17, 2024
Hi,

I have designed a cheap boost circuit using the ap3031ktr but after a while I have changed the load which requires a higher boost voltage than the current IC can provide.

I use a 5V input and currently boost the output to a solid 36V. My new load will require a voltage of 45V. Current consumption of the load is ~800mA.

The hard part of finding an alternative is mainly the price since this IC only costs 7cents per 1000 pieces. I have tried the big websites such as mouser,farnell and arrow but most of them around 17cents per 1000 pieces.

Does anyone have a good reccomendation and or advice?

I would appreciate this a lot!

kaindub

Joined Oct 28, 2019
Why are you using an input voltage of 5V?
At 800mA load that translates to something like 8A input current. At that sort of current youll need a controller IC and separate mosfet and diodes external to the IC. The diode and mosfet will far exceed the price of the IC

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Surely thereis a higher DC voltage someplace? Kaindub makes a very good point. A six X boost ratio is asking for problems. A six to one step DOWN would be OK, but not for a step up.

rick.curl

Joined Jul 14, 2020
Hi,

I have designed a cheap boost circuit using the ap3031ktr but after a while I have changed the load which requires a higher boost voltage than the current IC can provide.

I use a 5V input and currently boost the output to a solid 36V. My new load will require a voltage of 45V. Current consumption of the load is ~800mA.

The hard part of finding an alternative is mainly the price since this IC only costs 7cents per 1000 pieces. I have tried the big websites such as mouser,farnell and arrow but most of them around 17cents per 1000 pieces.

Does anyone have a good reccomendation and or advice?

I would appreciate this a lot!
Try using Texas Instruments' WEBENCH: https://webench.ti.com/power-designer/switching-regulator to design as step-up converter. Other manufacturers have similar design tools too.
-Rick