Air Conditioner Heating Room

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Up here in Boston, we actually had one day in April with no rain and temperatures reached the 80s. Apartment management had removed the air conditioner covers so our apartments were cool. There’s no AC in the bedroom so last year I purchased a stand-alone unit to keep the bedroom cool. I took the opportunity to install it for the season.

That night, I turned it on. Cool air was blowing into the room. But, soon after falling asleep, I woke up sweating! The room temp was 88!

I lowered the thermostat. And thinking the control board might be confused, I “rebooted” the unit by removing power for 30 seconds and restarting. Checked the thermostat. All looked good.

Later, I awoke again sweating profusely. I looked over and the room temp was 92! Giving up, I unplugged the AC unit, turned on a fan and tried to go back to sleep. I planned on calling the manufacturer in the morning.

The next day, I was installing new drapes. As I moved the AC for access, I had an “Oh crap” moment.

The exhaust vent had fallen off from the unit. Cold air was coming out the front and hot air was pumped back into the room...

I modified the vent, with a trio of screws so this couldn’t happen again. I’m cool now :cool:

There’s an upside to this story. Living in New England, a few days later the temperature dropped to the 30s. I woke from sleep shivering. So, I got up, turned the unit 180°, and removed the exhaust vent. Soon, I was warm and cozy and got a good night’s sleep.