Advice on Connections

NeutronStarPilot

Joined Jan 13, 2022
With a hobby build I have an issue and was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Basically I have a 12v plasma tube light with two female spade connectors, the circuit board I am attaching it to has a two pin JST slot.

The circuit board has timed light and sound functions.

So was curious if anyone has any ideas on how to bridge this gap as it were?

Thank you for reading.

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

From what I can tell, the connectors on that board are for controls, that is switches or potentiometers. If there are output, they must be relatively low current. How much current does the plasma tube need? Can the board provide it? I can't find any schematics or specs, do you have any?

NeutronStarPilot

Joined Jan 13, 2022
Thanks for the response.

I am honestly not sure of the current, and I don't have a multimeter to hand.

That is one of two circuit boards and the overall power will come from a 12v battery (most likley a lithium ion)

And as you noted the circuit board pictured is for switches and led's my problem is getting the plasma tube to work in place of one of the flashing Led's so it syncs up with a sound effect.

I can offer a rough diagram of something similar from someone who did something similar to what I am doing.

And again thanks for the response

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It seems that you need to use a relay to handle the current. Fortunately, that means you will be able to use the terminals directly if you choose the right relay. As far as the other side, to control the relay, you can by pre-made JST pigtails on Amazon, and attach terminals to that. The board with turn on the relay, and the relay will switch the tube power.

NeutronStarPilot

Joined Jan 13, 2022
So just to clarify, I should connect the plasma tube to the relay, then the relay can be connected to the board where the flashing LED would have gone.

And that should turn on the plasma tube and work in sync with the sound effect.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
So just to clarify, I should connect the plasma tube to the relay, then the relay can be connected to the board where the flashing LED would have gone.

And that should turn on the plasma tube and work in sync with the sound effect.
Yes, though it will click, so you may want to insulate it for sound. The board goes to the relay coil, the tube and it's power supply are connected through the common and normally open on the relay. When the board powers the coil, the relay closes and the circuit is completed for the tube supply.