Adjustable voltages - What to use? Digipots or DAC?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I intend to implement four adjustable voltage signals to control curent sources of different types. Current sources are tested and work OK.

Control is basically up/down with a fixed minimum value at turn on (eventually I could retain the last in use at turn off).

After much reading I focused on two quad options by Microchip: DAC MCP4728 or digipot MCP4361. Datasheets attached.

Besides the complexity of controlling software with a small micro (not a problem for me), what is your opinion about which one to choose?

Comments, suggestions appreciated. No previous experience on this myself.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Three differences come to mind.
The DAC has a lower output impedance with a buffered output.
The DAC has a built-in voltage reference.
The DAC has 12-bits of resolution and the digipot has eight or nine.

So, unless you need the 3-wire potentiometer function, I see no reason to use the digipot for your application.

Joël Huser

Joined Jun 30, 2019
As crutschow said, DAC has a built-in voltage reference, that's why the 4 buffered outputs are very precise and supposed to be stable in time and in temperature. I am not sure that the digipot has as good parameters as the DAC..... And is this case, indeed, the DAC is basically more precise with its 12 bits resolution.

So, I would say that you should use a DAC rather than a Digipot.

But both components are made for both different situations. You can face situations where you cannot use a DAC, because a DAC provides you a variable voltage signal referenced to a GND. In contrary to the digipot which is supposed to be a passive element free of potential (in the range of the digipot's power supply I suppose)..... So the digipot is useful, when you has to vary a resistor included and nested in an analog circuit, where you righly cannot use DAC !

Joël

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Three differences come to mind.
The DAC has a lower output impedance with a buffered output.
The DAC has a built-in voltage reference.
The DAC has 12-bits of resolution and the digipot has eight or nine.

So, unless you need the 3-wire potentiometer function, I see no reason to use the digipot for your application.
So evident, Carl. :) Thanks a lot.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Here is a digitally controlled adjustable current source that I developed for a product about 15 years ago using a MCP41050 50K digital pot. It works well.

The current is computed as 1.22V/(R205 + the resistance from PW to PA) and is injected into the SEN+ pin. A buffered (and filtered) copy of the resulting voltage between SEN+ and SEN- (circuit ground) is produced at Vo.

Caveat emptor: the current is dependent upon the tempco of the digital pot.

Selection_039.png

Joël Huser

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Beautiful joeyd999 ! The operational amplifier mounted as a follower make things happen so that its output is at the same potential as its positive input. So it's like if U204 was directly in parallel of (R205 + R of U202), fixing the current through R206, R205 and SEN+/-. Very interesting circuit. Joël

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
One possibility. This is a dithered 12 bit from 8 bit DAC, there are 4 onboard. If
you used its internal standard DAC its 8 bits each, no cap needed.

Vref is onchip as all the rest, OpAmps, DAC, except caps. Lots of resources left,
right hand window shows used/left.

If you needed more channels and can live with settling time and/or need higher
res use PWMs. This chip you could probably do >> 10 DACs at 16 bits that way,
but each needs an RC filter and you would need a buffer for each, although 4 could
be buffered with the 4 OpAmps on chip.

Stuff unused like DSP section, ARM M3 core, COM, LUT, Logic elements, counters,
A/D DelSig 20 bit and 12 bit SAR..... Component list attached. A component is an
onchip resource.

upload_2019-7-2_15-27-27.png

$ 10 board (with debug) - https://www.cypress.com/documentati...oc-5lp-prototyping-kit-onboard-programmer-and

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

Last edited: