Adjustable analog laser driver for continuous 0-2A output

laserproject

Joined Jun 11, 2018
I recently bought a 2W laser diode that I'm going to turn into a handheld laser pointer. It's obviously too powerful to just play around with at full strength, so I'd like to make an analog driver that I can use to dial it back to a safe(ish) 25mW. I purchased a cheap analog benchtop driver module, but it's not going to fit in any handheld laser and I don't have a good understanding of the circuit inside. Can someone help me spec/design an analog driver circuit that can run this monster diode? I want to be able to turn a knob to produce a continuous beam (non-pulsed, non-TTL) that can vary from 1-2% power up to 100%. I'm capable of soldering but I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, so the easier it is to understand, the better.

Every analog laser resource I've found so far is all about getting smooth, high-frequency color gradients for professional multibeam projection equipment. I don't need any of that high-precision control, I'm just trying to make a big-ass laser pointer with a dimmer switch so I don't catch things on fire unless I intend to.

~EDIT~ Some info about the diodes:
I have a $15 445nm diode for testing, and a $70 462nm for the final version.
462nm response curve. (Initial lasing at 3.8V, 200mA. Max 1.8A @ 5.1V.)
445nm only info supplied is 800mW output at 1A, current limit is 1.8A

Last edited:

laserproject

Joined Jun 11, 2018
One other thing, I'd like to power the finished version with 3.7V Li-Ion batteries (18650) since I've already got some around, so I'll be working with a 7.4V or 11.1V DC power source.