Adding strobe feature to running lights

Towtruckaj

Joined Feb 8, 2020
No idea if this is the right place to post this apologies if it's not but I have wired in 17, 3/4 inch dot lights to each side of my truck, currently it's set up as running lights they turn on and off with my lights all is well, I am experimenting with adding a strobe feature to this my desired outcome is a alternating strobe pattern so every other light strobes back and forth, and I want the running lights to be on most of the time but the strobes to take priority over running lights when my strobe switch is on, I currently have been trying with a soundoff headlight flasher and I've gotten it to flash back and forth with some test lights but can't seem to include the running lights to the equation and when I mess around with different wiring setups I can also get it so all lights will strobe together in one circuit and the running lights will work but the running lights take priority over strobe so if I have my headlights on it would not allow strobe unless they were turned off, any ideas on a strobe module that would achieve the desired back and forth strobe and take priority over running lights when they are on? Either a module that is capable of doing this or a wiring diagram for what I would need to do for my current module would be appreciated, any ideas are welcome.
Attached is a diagram of the instructions for the headlight flasher if that helps, when I have yellow and blue wired to different light circuits it achieved the back and forth strobe I wanted but no way of making them constantly lit, with all lights wired to the yellow they strobed all together so no alternating patterns are achievable but if I ran blue to power (would be ran to running lights switch) then when powered it would make the lights constant burn but it took priority over strobe so if powered they will not strobe only constant burn, so input on blue makes them constantly lit but output on both blue and yellow strobe.

Attachments

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
there used to be an automotive forum along with the "general electronics chat", which is this one, but I have not looked at it for many months. But you offer an interesting challenge with your quest. Not all of the details about the present installation are clear to me, so let me state what I am guessing and you can correct any incorrect guesses. First, I am guessing that each set of the 17 lights has one common ground connection and two feed connections, each lighting alternate LEDs. Second guess is that actually what you are seeking is alternating lighting, not actually short "strobe like" flashes. My third guess is that you want this functionality automated so that you do not need to flip a number of switches to obtain each separate mode of operation. Getting all of the different modes with several switches would be a rather simple exercise, but it does not seem like that is what you are seeking.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
No idea if this is the right place to post this apologies if it's not but I have wired in 17, 3/4 inch dot lights to each side of my truck, currently it's set up as running lights they turn on and off with my lights all is well, I am experimenting with adding a strobe feature to this my desired outcome is a alternating strobe pattern so every other light strobes back and forth, and I want the running lights to be on most of the time but the strobes to take priority over running lights when my strobe switch is on, I currently have been trying with a soundoff headlight flasher and I've gotten it to flash back and forth with some test lights but can't seem to include the running lights to the equation and when I mess around with different wiring setups I can also get it so all lights will strobe together in one circuit and the running lights will work but the running lights take priority over strobe so if I have my headlights on it would not allow strobe unless they were turned off, any ideas on a strobe module that would achieve the desired back and forth strobe and take priority over running lights when they are on? Either a module that is capable of doing this or a wiring diagram for what I would need to do for my current module would be appreciated, any ideas are welcome.
Attached is a diagram of the instructions for the headlight flasher if that helps, when I have yellow and blue wired to different light circuits it achieved the back and forth strobe I wanted but no way of making them constantly lit, with all lights wired to the yellow they strobed all together so no alternating patterns are achievable but if I ran blue to power (would be ran to running lights switch) then when powered it would make the lights constant burn but it took priority over strobe so if powered they will not strobe only constant burn, so input on blue makes them constantly lit but output on both blue and yellow strobe.
The automotive forum has been discontinued.

You have posted what some refer to as a wall of text. No paragraph or sentence structure. It would be helpful if you reposted your query using paragraphs and sentences to organize your thoughts.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Just throwing this out there--- check your local ordinances. It may not even be legal in your area to do this (a lot of people are not aware that the law put a kabosh on almost every 'bling' for vehicles involving lights so people would confuse a civilian vehicle with an emergency vehicle).

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Other than allowing headlights and stoplights to blink at a specific frequency, duration, and intensity, other blinking lights on vehicles are usually prohibited, at least in the USA.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Welcome to AAC!

The automotive forum has been discontinued.

You have posted what some refer to as a wall of text. No paragraph or sentence structure. It would be helpful if you reposted your query using paragraphs and sentences to organize your thoughts.
That "wall of text" critical remark is totally out of place here. All of the commenting was about the same system, and while the descriptions were not enough for me to provide an answer, they were by no means disjointed.
I did ask for additional explanations and details, which was to be able to provide a useful answer.

Towtruckaj

Joined Feb 8, 2020
there used to be an automotive forum along with the "general electronics chat", which is this one, but I have not looked at it for many months. But you offer an interesting challenge with your quest. Not all of the details about the present installation are clear to me, so let me state what I am guessing and you can correct any incorrect guesses. First, I am guessing that each set of the 17 lights has one common ground connection and two feed connections, each lighting alternate LEDs. Second guess is that actually what you are seeking is alternating lighting, not actually short "strobe like" flashes. My third guess is that you want this functionality automated so that you do not need to flip a number of switches to obtain each separate mode of operation. Getting all of the different modes with several switches would be a rather simple exercise, but it does not seem like that is what you are seeking.
Correct I am seeking it all to be automated to the strobe switch I already have and not require me to flip any secondary switches.
I want it to take priority over running lights when they are on as well if the strobe switch is active, I am seeking alternating strobe patterns the module I have will do both alternating patterns and all together strobe patterns.
I do not have two feeds to my current bed lighting but I do realize I will need to have to sepperate circuits to achieve the alternating strobe, my current problems have been discovered with a test setup at a battery with 2 test lights where I had a switch simulating the strobe switch and wired both lights separate to try to achieve the alternating patterns.

It seems to me to achieve the alternating patterns I need to wire one circuit to yellow and one circuit to blue as the diagram shows. then for running lights to turn on I need to actually input to blue and when the blue wire receives power back to the module it constant burns the lights to both yellow and blue. the issue being if I wired my lights to blue and yellow and then I tapped into blue with my running lights switch any time my running lights were on it would constant feed to blue and unless I turned off my lights first the strobe switch would not do anything, basically I need a way to have my running lights switch passthrough to blue until my strobe switch is on then it needs to stop feeding to blue.

Towtruckaj

Joined Feb 8, 2020
Other than allowing headlights and stoplights to blink at a specific frequency, duration, and intensity, other blinking lights on vehicles are usually prohibited, at least in the USA.
The truck I plan to put the lights on is a rollback contracted by local and state police, being a tow truck I am authorized to have amber and white emergency lighting on my truck, these would fall under that category as far as I know.

Towtruckaj

Joined Feb 8, 2020
I have replied to a few comments to try and clear things up, first to be noted is the truck these lights will be on is a tow truck contracted by local and state police and I am authorized emergency lighting in the colors of amber and white.

I have tried to clear up my goals and my thoughts on the issues and solutions, I apologize for the wall of text as y'all called it. I just find it difficult to explain everything without running on and on with my explanations as I don't quite understand how all this works and I am fairly new to wiring in general.

I am not all that informed when it comes to proper terminology and explanations can be difficult for me.

Goal 1. Alternating strobe patterns on bed lights (every other light wired together so 1, 3, 5, 7... And 2, ,4 , 6, 8...)

Goal 2. When my headlights/running lights are on the dot lights are on and when my strobe switch is active it overrides the running lights and strobes instead.
When blue receives power it constant burns any lights attached to yellow or to blue.

When blue is not actively fed power, the module has power, and the red wire is fed power/switch is on(switch wire) then it will strobe any lights attached to blue and yellow wires in an alternating fashion.

When black receives power it turns off any strobe feature (meant to be wired to running lights as a kill switch so when running lights are on it will not strobe) so this wire will be unused.

Red and black wire changes pattern.

Last edited:

Towtruckaj

Joined Feb 8, 2020
So I came up with a diagram I think may work I could be wrong but the idea is if I attach a relay and the circuit is normally closed to blue then when my headlights/running lights are on the power will passthrough to blue and the module will make them all constant burn as it's getting input from blue.
Now when the strobe switch is active in theory it should be able to change it so that relay circuit is open and no power is being input to blue allowing the module to output for strobe? Anyone know if this is the case or if I'll run into an issue with this?

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
To over-ride the flashing of the running lights the relay needs to feed all of them through diodes. That is easy and cheap to do, and it avoids any interaction between the different sets of lights.

Towtruckaj

Joined Feb 8, 2020
To over-ride the flashing of the running lights the relay needs to feed all of them through diodes. That is easy and cheap to do, and it avoids any interaction between the different sets of lights.
I apologize if I mislead you I want to override the running light switch to make the running lights flash even when the running light switch is on, so when my headlights are on my running lights are on, I want it so I can make them flash without turning off my headlights first.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The simple and effective and by far the most flexible arrangement would be a separate switch for those side marker/flasher lights. Center position "OFF", down position, "ON when headlights are on", Up position, "alternate flashing independent of headlights off or on. The switch would be a high current rated double pole double throw center off type. One center would connect to the headlight switch, the line controlling the running lights, feeding all four banks of LEDs through four diodes, one for each string of LEDs. The other center would be fed from battery, so that strobe-flashers could be on at any time, The "UP" position would feed the flasher module, which would connect to each of the four sets of LEDs, either direct or also through diodes.You might not need the center off position, but I recommend it.

Towtruckaj

Joined Feb 8, 2020
The simple and effective and by far the most flexible arrangement would be a separate switch for those side marker/flasher lights. Center position "OFF", down position, "ON when headlights are on", Up position, "alternate flashing independent of headlights off or on. The switch would be a high current rated double pole double throw center off type. One center would connect to the headlight switch, the line controlling the running lights, feeding all four banks of LEDs through four diodes, one for each string of LEDs. The other center would be fed from battery, so that strobe-flashers could be on at any time, The "UP" position would feed the flasher module, which would connect to each of the four sets of LEDs, either direct or also through diodes.You might not need the center off position, but I recommend it.
I managed to get what I was going for with my above shown diagram, I ran my running light wire into 30 the strobe switch to 86 ground to 85 and 87A to the blue on the strobe module as well as wiring a circuit of lights to blue, so the relay keeps power going into the blue wire when the running light switch is on and when the strobe switch is active it stops power from going into blue allowing the module to strobe the lights.
I appreciate the help y'all gave in here.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
In America, that is considered an unauthorized use of lights. It's a ticket able offense. Flashing lights belong on official vehicles and construction vehicles only. Wide load trailers have flashing lights for safety reasons. Decorative flashing lights would be a distraction and a confusion to other drivers. You COULD be held liable if an accident occurred and someone said your lights distracted them.

My advice - don't do it if you're planning on using the vehicle on the road. Show vehicles - that's a different story.
Go back and read the post where the TS explains the whole situation. It is legal in this situation. Keep- in mind not everybody lives in a police-state.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Have you considered to stop and breathe?

Capital letters, periods, paragraphs, commas?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018

ATF, please consider that the TS may be using a device that is a royal pain to produce capitals or punctuation. In fact some of those tablets are far worse to use than an older 12-button cell phone for texting.
Next, consider that not everybody who posts here has Kings English as their first or second language.. And finally, consider that most of the folks here have more important things to do than attack other folks posts. That sort of activity may result in being invited to not participate in the future. I certainly have no use for being nasty and critical of other folks writing style.

Towtruckaj

Joined Feb 8, 2020

As another poster brought up I am indeed on a cell phone for these posts, can be difficult to properly type and punctuate. On top of that this is not an essay for college or some super important document or anything remotely close to that, I am here to discuss wiring of led lights... Hardly a pressing matter. So I do apologize for possibly difficult to read messages but really I have better things to do and I am just here for tips after all it's not my job to do wiring I am not paid for it I do it on the side and whenever I get a change ill either work on it or look for ways to solve my problems as I was doing here. That diagram I made for example I didn't get paid to sit and think about my solution then make a nice little diagram to depict it well enough to make it happen, that was a thought at 5 in the morning that I had to quickly draw up before I lost my thought. And because again I am not super knowledgeable about wiring I can usually do simple shit I need to do but otherwise that's not my job or my main concern.

Ease up a bit this isn't a legal document or an essay I am trying to get my questions out in my free time and sure I could maybe take some time to better punctuate and form my sentences, but I don't have time to sit here and proof read and make sure everything is perfectly typed out and all that. as well as I'm on a tiny phone scene that cuts off my sentences as o right them, and tries to turn one word into another 24/7 diverting my attention as the last error in my sentence gets cut off the screen.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
As another poster brought up I am indeed on a cell phone for these posts, can be difficult to properly type and punctuate. On top of that this is not an essay for college or some super important document or anything remotely close to that, I am here to discuss wiring of led lights... Hardly a pressing matter. So I do apologize for possibly difficult to read messages but really I have better things to do and I am just here for tips after all it's not my job to do wiring I am not paid for it I do it on the side and whenever I get a change ill either work on it or look for ways to solve my problems as I was doing here. That diagram I made for example I didn't get paid to sit and think about my solution then make a nice little diagram to depict it well enough to make it happen, that was a thought at 5 in the morning that I had to quickly draw up before I lost my thought. And because again I am not super knowledgeable about wiring I can usually do simple shit I need to do but otherwise that's not my job or my main concern.

Ease up a bit this isn't a legal document or an essay I am trying to get my questions out in my free time and sure I could maybe take some time to better punctuate and form my sentences, but I don't have time to sit here and proof read and make sure everything is perfectly typed out and all that. as well as I'm on a tiny phone scene that cuts off my sentences as o right them, and tries to turn one word into another 24/7 diverting my attention as the last error in my sentence gets cut off the screen.
RIGHT ON!!!!!!