Adding Range Hood to existing circuit

augeydoggy

Joined Apr 24, 2015
I am installing a new range hood, and know little about wiring. There is an accessible 12/3 wire that I would like to use for the power source. The black wire on the 12/3 is controlled by a wall switch and runs 4 pot lights. The red wire is always hot, and is connected to a 12/2 that runs to another wall switch that controls two more pot lights. Can I use the red wire for the range hood power, and if so, how? Many thanks.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Typically the red wire would be a "traveler" wire and would be associated with a 3 way circuit. (traveling between the 2 switches only)
White/black should be used for the range hood.

You "may" want something like this where the range hood is one of the lights..
http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/electrical/3-way-switch-multiple-lights.gif

How big is the range hood? It may require its own circuit..

I'd suggest calling an electrician.. Should easily be under 1 hour of labor and will allow you to sleep better at night.

augeydoggy

Joined Apr 24, 2015
Thanks. Wouldn't the lights have to be on for the hood to work? It has it's own built in switch. The hood draws 3.4 amp max, and the pot lights are all leds.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You should have four conductors in your wiring, BLACK, RED, WHITE and COPPER. This is 2-phase AC.

BLACK - first phase
RED - second phase
WHITE - neutral
COPPER - ground

Connect your 12/2 cable to RED and WHITE for unswitched power (WHITE-to-WHITE, RED-to-BLACK or RED-to-RED). Connect the bare copper wire to the case of the junction box.

augeydoggy

Joined Apr 24, 2015
You should have four conductors in your wiring, BLACK, RED, WHITE and COPPER. This is 2-phase AC.

BLACK - first phase
RED - second phase
WHITE - neutral
COPPER - ground

Connect your 12/2 cable to RED and WHITE for unswitched power (WHITE-to-WHITE, RED-to-BLACK or RED-to-RED). Connect the bare copper wire to the case of the junction box.
That is what I tried, connecting the range hood white and copper as you suggest, and the range hood black to the red, ahead of the second switch which is still receiving power from the red. The range hood circuit is good, but the second switch, while receiving power, no longer completes the circuit. The switch works, and power gets to the light socket, but lights don't come on.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is the second switch wired correctly with BLACK, WHITE and COPPER?

Turn off the range hood. Do the second switch and lights work?

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
To stay code compliant, the splices/connections must be in a junction box, and the cover must be accessible.
In other words don't cut a hole in the wall behind the hood, make your splices in the wall without a box, then cover said hole with the hood.
Yes it happens all the time and it's wrong, when in doubt consult a licensed electrician.

augeydoggy

Joined Apr 24, 2015
To stay code compliant, the splices/connections must be in a junction box, and the cover must be accessible.
In other words don't cut a hole in the wall behind the hood, make your splices in the wall without a box, then cover said hole with the hood.
Yes it happens all the time and it's wrong, when in doubt consult a licensed electrician.
I have a box in the ceiling directly above a 6.5" hole, in which I have an led disk light that just pops in and out, making the box fully accessible. In fact I am now going to pull the wires from that box and recheck all the connections, and also be sure I actually understand how all the wires are running. Then my son is coming, and he knows a lot, including telling me if I need an electrician!

augeydoggy

Joined Apr 24, 2015
Found a bad white connection in the box, everything works now :oops: But I think I will redo the wiring to conform more to the comments here, and get also get at least one wire out of the box since the leds have their own boxes and can be daisy chained. Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations, I'll have a more solid installation now.