Adding aux to 2004 subaru radio

calle34

Joined Nov 22, 2020
Hello!
I recently got a subaru with a kenwood gx-201lef2 stereo head unit. I found a youtube video showing how to solder an aux switch jack onto the fm module connectors. I got an aux jack and disassembled my radio thinking it'd be easy enough to do the same to mine. Problem is my radio doesn't look the same as in the video... So I was wondering if someone could help me figure out where i should put mine? If i understood it correctly i just need to find the left and right audio outputs from the FM module, but they aren't labeled on the circuit board. here is the video
and here is a schematic of the back of the radio https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1211001/Kenwood-Gx-201kef2.html?page=18#manual . Fm unit connects on the top left in the schematic picture.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Looks like your circuit is different, on page 31, IC22 is the Audio input chip selection, .

Pin10 AM
Pin 11 FM mux
Pin 3 CassL
Pin 4 CassR
Pin 5 CDR
Pin 7 CDL

If so I would use the Cassette input,
or if you want the CD one.

There is also a connector labeled CN2 and CN4 on page 28 bottom right.
And an External Input Harness on page 29 at the Top.

Last edited:

calle34

Joined Nov 22, 2020
Looks like your circuit is different, on page 31, IC22 is the Audio input chip selection, .

Pin10 AM
Pin 11 FM mux
Pin 3 CassL
Pin 4 CassR
Pin 5 CDR
Pin 7 CDL

If so I would use the Cassette input,
or if you want the CD one.

There is also a connector labeled CN2 and CN4 on page 28 bottom right.
And an External Input Harness on page 29 at the Top.
Thank you, very helpful. So would the bypass work if I just plug the aux into either left and right channel, would the original cd/cassette or whatever still work? Or where would the other to wires have to go?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Has your radio got the external Harness, looks like it has a Bus input ?

You could put the jack socket on CN4 and test it to see if it works, then cut the tracks and wire it on like the in the video.

calle34

Joined Nov 22, 2020
Has your radio got the external Harness, looks like it has a Bus input ?

You could put the jack socket on CN4 and test it to see if it works, then cut the tracks and wire it on like the in the video.
How can I tell? Forgive me, I'm new to this...
Edit: cool, I'll try that