AC 220V Continuous Ignitor Circuit

Kaden10

Joined Dec 12, 2022
Recently purchased this product: Amazon.com: Aramox High Voltage Generator, AC 220V High Voltage Generator Module Continuous Igniter ≥12kV 1A‑2A : Tools & Home Improvement

When I plugged it in it did not work. I opened it up and made the circuit in LTSpice. I don't understand the circuit and would like some guidance.

Here is the circuit:
1670907533066.png

All values are correct. Including inductance values for transformer. I do not understand how it can make a continuous spark if it gets converted to DC. I also do not understand the purpose of the resistors and capacitors in series with the source and primary coil.

Thanks and have a good one.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
What does LT spice say about it?
Probably not much.

Probably D5 is NOT just a standard diode, but some fancy avalanche device.

Kaden10

Joined Dec 12, 2022
What does LT spice say about it?
Probably not much.

Probably D5 is NOT just a standard diode, but some fancy avalanche device.
When I run transient analysis, it doesn't finish. D5 is definitely different. The others are all 1N4007 diodes, but D5 is noticeably larger. The part number is facing down, so I can't read it.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The same thought about D5 occured to me. Otherwise, how could it work? If you can read the marking on D5 that might tell the whole story.

By the way that 12 kV "1 amp or 2 amp" power supply is not a 12 or 24 kilowatt power supply. Got a giggle from that!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The sim works fine if D5 is an avalanche device. I modelled one using the standard switch model with hysteresis.

Kaden10

Joined Dec 12, 2022
Posted pictures of each side of the pcb. I can see the symbol for the diode in the silk of the pcb. A quick search tells me it’s a TVS diode.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Sidac is a type of Diac , it strikes between 190V to 220V .
So it pulses C2 across the coil when the voltage reaches it's strike range.

Screenshot_2022-12-13-17-33-15-239_com.android.chrome.jpg

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
A diac is a 2-terminal bi-directional avalanche device. Doesn't that make it an avalanche diode?
An avalanche diode is just a zener . A diac is a four-layer device which latches in when triggered. I suppose it is the avalanche effect of one of the junctions that triggers it.