AAC Upgrade Thread - Feedback & Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Also the Electronics Resources forum has gone.
A lot of my threads I posted there are moved to the Homework section.
Why the hell is that?

Bertus

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
My Finished Projects posts seem to have been moved into other forums. Analog Signals and Design and Microprocessors. The title is Project: Converting Audio to 0-4VDC Signal for Animatronics

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
But enough about him ...

Why don't ***I*** see the Projects and Finished Projects forums?

ak
I see them and in fact they are hard to avoid. What I miss is the direct connection to "general electronics chat" collection of threads. Of course I use 4 different computers and so 4 different instances of my browser, FireFox. It can be a puzzle indeed.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
WHY IS THERE NO WAY TO POST A NEW THREAD IN THIS FORUM?

To wit, what dictionary does AAC use for spellcheck? Since when is "yous" acceptable English for the "plural" of you? In the hood it is spelled "youse" :( :(

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
WHY IS THERE NO WAY TO POST A NEW THREAD IN THIS FORUM?

To wit, what dictionary does AAC use for spellcheck? Since when is "yous" acceptable English for the "plural" of you? In the hood it is spelled "youse" :( :(
I believe, from my previous experience, that the spell check is not done by AAC but by your browser.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I believe, from my previous experience, that the spell check is not done by AAC but by your browser.
I think that I posted a new thread, but it may have been in the older format forum. And while I am sure that some folks feel that changes were made, my life experience has been that at best only half of all changes are improvements. The very few things that I did not care for were not worth complaining about, and certainly not worth a major tear-up.
What would be useful to me is being able to know a poster's country, since that affects their power system and their ability to buy components. Not a matter of prejudice or bias, but a concern for logistics. It would also help me with some of the language differences.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
From in the deep south of the USA I came across "YAll's", an obvious yankee corruption of "Yall". But enough of that, as this is not a grammar police site.

And while I am sure that some folks feel that changes were made, my life experience has been that at best only half of all changes are improvements. The very few things that I did not care for were not worth complaining about, and certainly not worth a major tear-up.
Agreed -- Then too, from a practical standpoint, the 'upgrade' was not a matter of choice (owing to waning support for and general obsolescence of the previous installation)...

For my part I've nothing and no one save my own 'myopia' to blame for my principal 'agro' attending the upgrade (which being corollary to my use of my blog as an 'upload anchor/repository' in full view of the fact that said feature was a third party 'kludge' and, hence, liable to 'miscarriage' in the inevitable event of significant changes to fora software...

Thanks to arduous 'behind the scenes' effort on the part of @jrap, most of my uploads have been recovered - for which I wish to publicly express my gratitude!:cool:

what dictionary does AAC use for spellcheck?
Indeed! 'As you type spell-check' is a browser feature --- FWIW, IMNSHO, Mozilla is the worst of the worst!

Best regards
HP

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The spell check certainly does have a limited vocabulary of technical words, but the whole thing has changed a lot with this "upgrade." of course, if that upgrade is in any way or form linked to windows10 there is no way that it will not have serious flaws embedded in it. Every release by microsopht has been worse than the one before, and the downhill flow has sped up a lot.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
For my part I've nothing and no one save my own 'myopia' to blame for my principal 'agro' attending the upgrade (which being corollary to my use of my blog as an 'upload anchor/repository' in full view of the fact that said feature was a third party 'kludge' and, hence, liable to 'miscarriage' in the inevitable event of significant changes to fora software...
Can you get it from the Way Back Machine? Or is it too new?
http://web.archive.org/

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
@EETech Adam @jrap @bertus

Has the BB table function been removed?

I use this formatting tool for the Completed Projects Index. If is gone no biggie, I'll figure something else out. A good alternative would be a tab function, which as far as I know does not exist.

Ideas?

Please use @Wendy if replying as my brain fog has been thicker than usual (holiday stress I suspect), it is making me slower than usual (IE stupider), or as the brits put it, thicker.

Can you get it from the Way Back Machine? Or is it too new?
http://web.archive.org/
It has been my experiance that IA's 'Wayback Machine' is 'hobbled' onto uselessness for its slavish adherence to sites' 'Robots.txt' files -- said policy having no legal requirement whatever - nor, come to that, practical applicability to an archival site! --- Robots.txt was/is not intended as a privacy measure - but, rather, an aid to 'crawlers'/'spiders' such that they need not index data deemed 'extraneous' (by the sites). -- Problem is; (A) the default 'map' is initally (i.e. by default) wholly exclusive and (B) IA considers domain only without regard to past ownership/content/Robots.txt settings, etc at the time the archived data was deposited -- Hence IA 'pulls' all of its archived data for a domain from public view following a restrictive change in Robots.txt (as occurs 'automatically' with changes in domain ownership, etc) until and if the new owner gets round to editing said file...

Again, Robots.txt is not and was never intended as a privacy/security feature! -- To the extent that it's a 'courtesy feature' said 'courtesy' is to the 'spiders' (that they need not crawl 'irrelevant data')...

There are proper ways to 'cordon' public vs. restricted areas of sites such that the latter are simply unavailable (invisible) to unauthorized users (including 'web spiders')-- but then a discussion of SQL and encryption fairly 'escapes' the purview of this already over-verbose post:oops:

Returning to IA and Robots.txt -- In response to longstanding criticism they are in the s-l-o-w process of reversing said policy though I can hardly advise holding one's breath:rolleyes:

For all that -- it is entirely possible this sites' RT settings were/are amenable to IA -- hence I will most definitely 'check out' your sugestion!:)

In any event, as stated, most of my uploads were recovered --and-- I've yet local copies of the (apparently) 'lost' images ('tis merely a matter of looking through my 'Nikon transfer' directory -- Leme tell ya! Windows 'Extra Large Icons' thumbnail view option is a 'lifesaver' in that respect!:)

Very best regards
HP

@EETech Adam @jrap @bertus

Has the BB table function been removed?

I use this formatting tool for the Completed Projects Index. If is gone no biggie, I'll figure something else out. A good alternative would be a tab function, which as far as I know does not exist.

Ideas?

Please use @Wendy if replying as my brain fog has been thicker than usual (holiday stress I suspect), it is making me slower than usual (IE stupider), or as the brits put it, thicker.
@Wendy --- (Re: 'classic' ['blue'] style) The BB Code editor is accessed via the 'gear' icon (which being the right-most icon on the format bar)...

Very best regards
HP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.