A question from the worksheet- superpostion

Yami

Joined Jan 18, 2016
A windmill-powered generator and a battery work together to supply DC power to a light bulb. Calculate the amount of current through each of these three components, given the values shown in the schematic diagram. Assume internal resistances of the generator and battery to be negligible:

Ibatt = Ibulb = Igen =
I do not understand how to calculate the current through the battery and the generator. I do understand the bit about the light bulb ( calculating the current by 'short-circuiting' each source at a time).

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

Short each source one at a time and calculate the response you want to know for each, then add the results.
That's called "superposition".

Yami

Joined Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I do know about that but how to calculate the current through the source? The battery and the generator? Do the same as the light bulb, then whats the resistance of the battery and the generator?

Yami

Joined Jan 18, 2016
How I did for the light bulb, but when I try to do it for the sources I get ridiculous current values....

Ibatt = 3.992 A (charging) Ibulb = 3.013 A Igen = 7.006 A thats the answer for the question shown on the worksheet. why does the battery value state "charging"?

Attachments

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
How I did for the light bulb, but when I try to do it for the sources I get ridiculous current values....
What did you get for the other currents?

Why would they be "ridiculous"?

On edit ...

What would the condition be if the battery were discharging and the condition of charging?

Yami

Joined Jan 18, 2016
What did you get for the other currents?

Why would they be "ridiculous"?

On edit ...

What would the condition be if the battery were discharging and the condition of charging?
Thats the part I don't get, condition when its charging and discharging