A picture sums things up pretty nicely.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Yes, we're seeing the fact that graphic artists don't know or care about how gears work.
And the "Educators" reviewing said work also don't care or don't know how gears work...

Sad, sad commentary on the current state of education in the USA. I pity college students these days; they clearly aren't getting value for their (and their parents') money. Too many professors can't be bothered with teaching and rely on TA's to do it for them...

Too bad industries aside from semiconductor manufacturing aren't inclined to have a "Moore's Law" to motivate them.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Perhaps the author/illustrator was being subtle and deliberately drew a non functional gear train in order to show what happens if all the parts are not working.?
I'd buy that if the wording was talking about a dysfunctional education system ... however ... the wording illustrates a functional educational system when all parts are working.

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
While I admit they took all the pain to make it realist, even Captain Phillips, says something that I would never say in that particular situation.
You mean that the move Captain Phillips performance by Tom Hanks?
How Accurate Is Captain Phillips?
Find Out Why Tom Hanks’ Most Powerful ‘Captain Phillips’ Scene Wasn’t Even Scripted.

We won't say many words as the movie show up, the movie always like to show a intense emotion to touching the heart of audience, if the movie showing too normal, maybe we will feel boring.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Perhaps the graphic designer was a cynical critic of the education system and intentionally drew a nonworking gear train and submitted it to the board just to prove a point to himself and the country. To make them look even worse than they do already.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Perhaps the graphic designer was a cynical critic of the education system and intentionally drew a nonworking gear train and submitted it to the board just to prove a point to himself and the country. To make them look even worse than they do already.
Maybe, but I doubt it. The concept was almost certainly dreamed up by some well-paid PR firm. Examples are aplenty of how these firms dream up pure crap and don't catch glaring mistakes and their customers don't catch them either because neither is qualified to look at the product with even a middle-school level of common sense.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hey, now there's an idea. A coin that is a working planetary gear set! Maybe a $1000 coin or something.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Go ahead and laugh at us stupid Americans, Mister. The sign @WBahn posted was from a local school district. Take a close look at your two-pound coin - the art on that one had to be reviewed and approved by many. Is that any better?:pView attachment 85610
Nice one. Even if the gear train had had one more or less gear, the friction alone would have made it unworkable even without considering the likelihood of incompatible ratios.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Even if the gear train had had one more or less gear, the friction alone would have made it unworkable even without considering the likelihood of incompatible ratios.
I strongly disagree. Extremely inefficient? yes. Unworkable? I see no reason why it would be unworkable.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Nice one. Even if the gear train had had one more or less gear, the friction alone would have made it unworkable even without considering the likelihood of incompatible ratios.
I've seen a number of systems that had longer gear trains than that that seemed to work pretty smoothly. I remember seeing a clock mechanism that controlled little water valves that was incredibly complex. I can't recall where I saw that or what it was a part of, but the workmanship on the gears was beautiful.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I've seen a number of systems that had longer gear trains than that that seemed to work pretty smoothly. I remember seeing a clock mechanism that controlled little water valves that was incredibly complex. I can't recall where I saw that or what it was a part of, but the workmanship on the gears was beautiful.
But 19 in a circle still leads to gridlock.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
A linear arrangement of an odd number of gears is locked. To turn, it would have to have an equal number of gears turning clockwise as counter-clockwise. Even without that problem, the forces required to turn would be enormous, especially at each of the eight occurences of a larger gear trying to turn a smaller one, then there's the ratio problem, where the last gear in the train wants to drive the first but may not be able to if their speeds don't match.

Last edited: