A 'mystery' oscillator that uses a 2N3375 - but how does it work?

Spottymaldoon

Joined Dec 4, 2015
I have used this oscillator as an approximately 100MHz driver for an electrodeless lamp. It is supremely reliable and puts out several watts of power:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZlKa1Knz2cWmR6UEdiOEtvd2M/view?usp=sharing

However, although grateful that it worked (using a transistor that is now only made in Russia), I could never figure out what actual type of oscillator it is and where on earth the tank circuit is lurking.

I have asked some quite learned EEs this question and they have all given answers but none really convincing - please assist.

I have also posted elsewhere for advice on a replacement circuit using an MRF136 - the Russian transistors can't handle the same power as the old 2N3375s.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I have used this oscillator as an approximately 100MHz driver for an electrodeless lamp. It is supremely reliable and puts out several watts of power:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZlKa1Knz2cWmR6UEdiOEtvd2M/view?usp=sharing

However, although grateful that it worked (using a transistor that is now only made in Russia), I could never figure out what actual type of oscillator it is and where on earth the tank circuit is lurking.

I have asked some quite learned EEs this question and they have all given answers but none really convincing - please assist.

I have also posted elsewhere for advice on a replacement circuit using an MRF136 - the Russian transistors can't handle the same power as the old 2N3375s.
This was actually a very popular design ages ago. It's basically a "grounded grid" oscillator, to borrow from tube technology. The emitter voltage is in phase with the collector voltage, all that's necessary is to have a tiny step up with the feedback capacitor.

Spottymaldoon

Joined Dec 4, 2015
Thanks, KL7AJ - this is fascinating input and, doing a bit of searching, it's not something commonly used these days yet I should imagine such an arrangement with a FET would be even more practical (I am eyeing the MRF136 at this moment). Does the oscillator rely upon the internal inductance of the valve/transistor to find its resonant frequency?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Actually it relies on that small choke in the collector lead in combination with the capacitor between emitter and collector. Tis a SERIES resonant circuit, which is why it is somewhat unusual.