5V to 1.5V voltage conversion

srihariraom

Joined Sep 27, 2021
Hi,

I am trying to replace a battery powered circuit with a AC to DC adaptor circuit. I have a 5V adaptor but the device requirement is 1.5V. So, what is best way to reduce this voltage? Is using a resistor good enough? If so can you help me in understanding how to choose the value of resistor?

Regards

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

srihariraom

Joined Sep 27, 2021
I am sure that my load doesn’t consume more than what my adaptor can supply. It is very simple device when very low current consumption.

boostbuck

Joined Oct 5, 2017
You can if the current drawn is always the same and doesn't vary when the device operates. You will then only need one resistor in line to drop 5V - 3.5V = 1.5V.

If the current drawn by the device varies you will need an active regulator of some kind.

What is the current drawn by the device and does it vary with operation? Actually - what is the device?

Depending on device behaviour and tolerances, anything from a simple resistor to a zener diode to a regulator chip may be required to meet specs.

srihariraom

Joined Sep 27, 2021
The device is actually a simple wall clock. Are you saying that we can just put one resistor to drop that additional 3.5V and make this happen instead of going for a resistor divider ?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Do you have a way to measure the current your clock draws, or does the power requirement or current appear in your clock? Without that information all you will get is a good guess and probably have to do some experimentation.

boostbuck

Joined Oct 5, 2017
A wall clock is pretty tolerant of voltage as it will run on a cell from new to nearly flat. The circuit by Danko in post #7 will be all you need, except the resistor should be more like 10k or something. You could get away with just a carefully calculated single resistor but the diodes are a clamp that makes it more tolerant. The 100u capacitor is probably not needed - maybe a 1u if your supply is poor quality.

Knowing the current drawn by the clock would help calculate the resistor.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Wait a minute, one red LED should be about right. White LEDs run 3 ro 4 volts.

I would go with @Danko 's circuit in post #11 since it has the best chance of working.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
If it's a "simple wall clock" then it runs for a year on a battery, so draws very little current. The forward voltage drop of the LEDs would be at the lower end of the range.
At that level of current, a micropower three-terminal regulator would be the best option. It might work of a 1.25V version.

The battery is going to be the cheapest method of powering it.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
(Some text removed for clarity)
The battery is going to be the cheapest method of powering it.
Hahaha (or as they say in Asia in and around China: 555) !

Very good point that in the end a battery may be the best (though less interesting) solution.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
If an 1.5Ah AA cell lasts a year, then the current consumption is 170uA.
You would need a switcher with a very low quiescent current to compete with a linear regulator.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
A battery operated clock draws current in a burst once every second. I would go with a 3 terminal regulator since the current is nowhere near constant.