555 bistable (LTspice)

TO2

Joined Jun 19, 2009
Hello,

I'm trying to simulate the 555 timer bistable circuit on Multisim and LTSpice. I may have done something wrong, because I'm not getting the expected behavior.
When Reset and Trigger is pulled high I expect the output to be low, but it's not.

Schematic:

(LTSpice schematic file include below.)

This is the behavior that I expect (java applet):
Rich (BB code):
Please shed some light :p

Attachments

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Try it with a small value capacitor on pin 6 and ground. a single resistor from pin 6 to 7. another resistor from pin 7 to +5 V. Finally tie the trigger pin(3) to pin 6 and fire it up.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Keep in mind that the 555 timer that comes with LTSpice is an "idealized" timer that you can't buy. I have a more realistic approximation of a bjt (transistorized) LM555 timer at the house; I've uploaded it here before.

TO2

Joined Jun 19, 2009
Keep in mind that the 555 timer that comes with LTSpice is an "idealized" timer that you can't buy. I have a more realistic approximation of a bjt (transistorized) LM555 timer at the house; I've uploaded it here before.
Yes, I also think it's because of the model.

But the model posted by you doesn't work for me as well.
(If you mean the model from this post: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=229723&postcount=14)

I have used the LTSpice example NE555.asc (in the example folder) and have modified the inputs accordingly to the way that I want to have.

And it works,
Reset high, Trigger high -> Output low.
Output low is in the mV range, in the previous cases the output is above 3 Volt, that's not low (using 5V for Vcc).

Attachments

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
With the connections you have, the output can be in either state. It may come up in a consistent state when you power it up, though.
I ran a sim with the NE555 model provided by LTspice. It originally came up with the output high. When I added Startup (see attachment) to the .tran directive, the output came up low.

Attachments

TO2

Joined Jun 19, 2009
Thank you. It also works for me.

So I should always use the Startup option of the .tran directive then?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The Startup option is a good one to use, particularly in simulations where ambiguity may otherwise result from having voltages applied from time zero.