4060 chip for seconds and hours

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
That timer has a fixed period + duty cycle. You could have easily programmed for user adjustable period + duty cycle through a pot or two.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
from a hardware perspective, it is considerably simpler than a discrete solution.
In terms of the number of device pins that need a soldered connection, the 4060 design has 38 and the PIC design has 41, an *increase* of three pins. These pin counts assume In System Programing connections per Microchip Tech Bulletin TB016, "How to Implement ICSP™ Using PIC16F8X FLASH MCUs", plus two 2-pin connectors not shown on my schematic - power in and motor out. AND, a 78L05 3-terminal regulator (plus input and output capacitors) for the PIC, since the circuit runs on 12 V. Also, the PIC circuit is restricted to using a logic-level FET for the output.
Obviously, you will have to learn to code and program a mcu - it took me 5 minutes to get it going.
I think the actual code to implement this timer requires more than two lines.

ak

Last edited:

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
BTW, this can be done via ladder logic: there are lot of clock examples that makes such programming easy. Ladder-Micro allows you to program a few AVR/PIC graphically for example.

Danielpalfrey

Joined Mar 29, 2016
Just waiting for a couple more part to test this circuit. I assume there is enough power for the circuit to run an LED for testing? Is it me or is the mosfet just a transistor?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Mosfet is a transistor, pinout is Source, Drain, Gate... Treat the Source as emitter, the gate as the base, you dont need to use a series gate resistor normally.

Danielpalfrey

Joined Mar 29, 2016
Ok, long time no speak, I have finally gotten around to building the circuit. Just waiting to see if it activates but the LEDS do not light up like I thought they would?

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
I think it pays to be able to try out a circuit on a breadboard, in a simulator, or a reprogrammable environment before committing to it.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Ok you need a multimeter
First check the supply pins, 16,7 then pin 12..

on pin 7 yellow led, and see if its pulsing every 30 seconds, you can increase the oscillator speed to make the Yellow led pulse faster by turning the pot to minimum and lowering the 150k resistor R3, the green led maybe dim, if its oscillating fast, looking at the circuit you have only one electrolytic cap for C3, you need two caps back to back or one non polarised cap...

Last edited:

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
There is my work and the schematic can be found here:
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/ronj/rt8.html
it is probably a little bit too complicated for what you want.

You need something that trips once every 6 hours. So if you feed a counter a given pulse train, it will roll-over after some time. With the hc4060, if you feed it a 0.75Hz signal, it will roll-over once every 1/0.75Hz * 2^14=22,000 seconds = 6 hours. So all you need is to take that signal on pin 3 and hold it for 6 seconds.

You are done. no need to be more complicated than that.

Danielpalfrey

Joined Mar 29, 2016
Ok you need a multimeter
First check the supply pins, 16,7 then pin 12..

on pin 7 yellow led, and see if its pulsing every 30 seconds, you can increase the oscillator speed to make the Yellow led pulse faster by turning the pot to minimum and lowering the 150k resistor R3, the green led maybe dim, if its oscillating fast, looking at the circuit you have only one electrolytic cap for C3, you need two caps back to back or one non polarised cap...
I used a bone polarised cap

Danielpalfrey

Joined Mar 29, 2016
I will pull out the old multimeter when I get home. The yellow led as it is right now does nothing same as green

OK. Just did the checks using the negative terminal from Battery and the positive probe on the multimeter on the pins on the chip. I seem to have nothing at the chip?

Can't seem to figure out what is wrong.

My mock up on the bread board worked (I went and bought one) but the first make up blew ( I put a diode in wrong) so I rebuilt it again and it just hasnt worked this time

I just identified a problem and rectified it now I probe positive down one side of the chip and negative down the other and get readings, is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator: